Sign in to follow this  
kevinator9

Good place for a tune up?

Hi Guys,

Wondering where a good place semi-local would be for a tune up on the M10? Wondering how much something like this normally costs too. The car seems to gurgle alot of gas compared to my flatmates 1995 Galant. The Galant is 2L 4Cyl and I use double the gas it does to get around. Takes the beema 1 tank to get to Tauranga took the mitsi half a tank.

I don't dare take it to a run of the mill mechanic as they seem to turn away upon hearing the word BMW. I am considering driving down to JKS to get it done properly.

Hi Guys,

Wondering where a good place semi-local would be for a tune up on the M10? Wondering how much something like this normally costs too. The car seems to gurgle alot of gas compared to my flatmates 1995 Galant. The Galant is 2L 4Cyl and I use double the gas it does to get around. Takes the beema 1 tank to get to Tauranga took the mitsi half a tank.

I don't dare take it to a run of the mill mechanic as they seem to turn away upon hearing the word BMW. I am considering driving down to JKS to get it done properly.

roof rack will hurt economy

worn out afm , vac leaks , timing not set correctly and faulty temp sensor for the ecu will effect fueling heaps.

also driving style and gearing how many rpm at 100km/h on yours and the galant??

Yea the racks come off for the long trips give me a little extra gas left.

The beema sits at about 2800rpm and the galant about 2300rpm (from memory...) I guess the other thing is the beema needs to foot to the floor to keep it between 90-100 going up the hills around the plateau and the galant only needs it halfway.

It just seems the car hesitates when accelerating from stopped but are you guys saying it is better to spend my money on replacing parts than getting a tune up?

roof rack will hurt economy

OH yeah! I had a big but simple tubular rack on my VW van. I was doing a manky 80's look for a show..... It is all small diameter tube, no flat areas or panel/mesh areas. It increased fuel consumption 30% on a 700km trip!!!

What is the actual fuel consumption? The Galant may hold 20L more, so half a tank means nothing. I had a car that only got 450 km to a tank.... but it only took 25L to fill it back up :lol:

If it's really hungry, it may need a really good check over - there is a lot of possibilities. Putting it on a sniffer to check fuelling/mixture/emmisions etc might help

yes all parts need to be checked and maybe replaced if worn etc.

you can do new plugs , air filter , oil filter etc.

but you need to go through and check all teh other parts

timing needs to be checked with a timing light.

the air flow meters wear out , so buy a new one or one from a much lower millage engine.

vacuum leaks will kill ecnomy , check every hose and gaskey joint in and around the intake system

Ok thanks guys I will look through these things. Will replace the easy/cheap things I think a fuel filter will be next and then in intake manifold gasket set.