Sign in to follow this  
kratosnz

First time buying a BMW - Any help appreciated

Hi guys

I am looking to buy my first BMW, and any help would be appreciated. I am currently thinking I will go for the E46 shape as i quite like the look of them. My budget is $10 - $15k.

Originally I have been checking out 318i Msports models, but am thinking maybe I should go for a 320I or something with a bit more grunt. How big is the difference between the two?

I posted up a thread about an auction I was looking at on trademe (asking what people thought it was worth)... looks like this would have been a more appropriate section to post it.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=43281

Anyway, any help would be awesome, and I would love some input on what people think regarding what size engine to go for. It would be used just for everyday driving.

Edited by -Mat-

Do lots of Googling!

Some of the Engines have issues (N42 I think)

Personally, I'd find a well looked after 328i/330i Manual. Fuel consumption isn't bad at all (hauling similar weight to the smaller engines anyway) and the manual trans really wakes them up - any of them!

I've had a 318i, a 325i, and a 330i (all msports).

My personal opinion is a well looked after 318i would fit your needs perfectly.

But you know I'm biased!

In my experience, the difference in fuel consumption is pretty large.

If it's economy you're after, I'm now getting more than 1000km to a tank in my remapped Motorosport 320d.

If it's economy you're after, I'm now getting more than 1000km to a tank in my remapped Motorosport 320d.

what happened re the noise? 1000k eh i get close to that on the open road in the 120 i guess the 320 has a bigger tank?