Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 Loss of Torque when Engine Warm

Got a question about my e39 520i (2001) automatic.

In the morning / when the engine is fairly cool, the car starts normally. Turn key, engine cranks (whatever the starting sound is called) only once and starts and runs fine.

After a drive for maybe 10-15 minutes (or longer) - basically when the engine has become warmer, if I happen to turn the car off, the next time I try to start it takes a larger number of 'cranks'. So when I turn the key, the ignition/engine makes the starting sound for a longer period of time before actually starting. Following this, whenever I drive the car after an engine start like this, I notice considerably less power in the car (being a 520i it already has low power, but it is still very noticeable). From standstill, it feels as though I'm trying to drive from 0-60 starting in third gear or something.

Any idea what this might be? Would it be something to do with the cps?

All help appreciated, thanks :D

It will need scanning first and go from there... can do tomorrow

It will need scanning first and go from there...

+1 Quite possibly a sensor - you need to scan it to know which one, otherwise you'll spend craploads of money chasing it. Get someone like Glenn who knows what they are doing too.

Thanks guys.

@Glenn might stop by tomorrow morning.

Turned out to be the cps (inlet). At the workshop right now waiting for parts. Glenn was able to point out some other minor faults under the bonnet as well, so I'm glad I stopped by :)

Edited by Arma

All fixed and car running well :) thanks to Glenn.

- Scanned DME: inlet camshaft position sensor fault

- installed new sensor with new "O" ring

Car no longer has trouble starting when warm, and I can definitely feel a tad bit more torque in the car now.