Sign in to follow this  
CRS

Hi there!

Hi there

Got here looking for knowledge to crack my head gasket change.

Bought a 92 e36 325i 6 months ago and just a couple of weeks ago it seized, leaking all the coolant and leaving me waiting for AA.

Funny thing with the car also, the radiator doesn't seem to be the 325i m50 model, looks like the 320 maybe? looked for the radiator top hose part number today and was 1720720 on it. Unless the whole engine is the 320, which would be odd as it was pretty quick. I'll check the engine number tomorrow morning to see if it fits the rego, car is NZ new.

Don't want to give $1500+ to a shop so I'll do it myself, I've done some stuff on cars but this is the biggest I think I've attempted.

I'm getting my parts from ebay as it seems way cheaper than here, but might be wrong! so if you know where to get them in NZ would be great. I'm in Blenheim so I need to get whatever shipped here as in here there's not much. I already have someone in Christchurch that can check the head.

Rang BNT last week and they quoted me $800 for the set, from "their" brand http://www.ebay.com/itm/160633671115

I need to also get the water pump, belts, bolts and stuff. Do I need the special tools? can I rent them somewhere if so?

Any pointers?

Cheers!

Carlos

Posted Image

there are 2 sizes of rads used depending if its jap import (bigger) or nz new (smaller and built in expantion tank) car etc

What you mean "it seized"? If it really did overheat to the point that metal parts expanded such that they bound up, a head gasket change may not be all that's needed!

there are 2 sizes of rads used depending if its jap import (bigger) or nz new (smaller and built in expantion tank) car etc

Cool didn't know that, so clearly mine is the smaller with the built in tank

Good on you for giving it a go yourself, these old BMW's are suited to DIY types, as you can spend a small fortune paying someone else to keep it running.

I'm at the point now where I try and do everything myself, its a good way to learn

Good on you for giving it a go yourself, these old BMW's are suited to DIY types, as you can spend a small fortune paying someone else to keep it running.

I'm at the point now where I try and do everything myself, its a good way to learn

Thanks! I took the head off today, It took me probably 8 hours and another 3 going back and forth to the shop and friends houses to get bits I didn't have!

Taged everything so it should be fairly straightforward to put back in.

Cheers!