Sign in to follow this  
beetee

dash lights problem

QUESTION 1 ====just bought a 1989 320 i for the missus ( maybe i shouldnt have ) / on the dash is a light that stays on saying INSPECTOR // mechanic said do an oil change ?? DID THAT ?? next he said go to BMW and they will turn it off with a special tool / problem ?? to far to go to find a bmw man ????? anyone got a quick fix aside from removing the light from the dash :banghead: =============================

QUESTION 2 ===== under bonnet drivers side (( rh )) vacum type pot ? 2 hoses ( 10 mm ) one goes across fire wall other about 300 mm long goes nowhere ??? what is it for :banghead: :banghead: mate says its for breathing fuel tank :huh::huh:

==============================

statement if these problems are not fixable == CAR IS FOR SALE

on the dash is a light that stays on saying INSPECTOR

That light is an aid to remind you to have the car checked according to the owner's manual, which includes an oil change. There are also a row of 5 green lights that go out one by one and when they get to the yellow light, that is the time to do an oil change. The service lights on the dash can be ignored, they don't do anything else except irritate you into doing something. There are methods to turn the lights off without the tool, remember seeing one posted here on Bimmersport fairly recently but can't find it at the mo'. With the older E30 with the small service plug, you could use a 12v 5w globe across pins 1 & 7 of the service plug to reset the lights but I don't know which pins to use on the facelift with the large plug.

under bonnet drivers side (( rh )) vacum type pot ? 2 hoses ( 10 mm ) one goes across fire wall other about 300 mm long goes nowhere ???

My vent system for the tank is on the passenger side of 3 of my E30's, the 4th doesn't have one. So not sure what yours is on the driver's side.... Can you post a pic of the unit?

THANKS FOR INFO ALL OF YOU // BETTER THAN A GARAGE // MISSUS GOT CAR AT WORK WILL TRY THE WIRE THING WHEN SHE GETS HOME // WHATS YOUR BREW :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: // WILL POST A COUPLE OF PICS LATER

CHEERS

beetee - just make sure you short the correct wires for your model.

I'm about to go and put some new plugs in my e30 as soon as I'm finished here - I'll have a look for the vacuum valve you mention.

The only thing i can think of that might be it is the fuel pressure regulator - but if one of the hoses goes nowhere you got no fuel! and it should be on the front of the intake manifold.

Otherwise take a pic cos I'm lost.

I've used all sorts of things, but just be sure to connect the right wires, I got it wrong once on the oldskool styles and it started the car up...luckily it wasn't in gear at the time or it would've been disasterous

You also want a bit of resistance too, but up to you.

This works for me: if it doesn't for you - ignore it...

Resetting E36 service indicator lights

Tools:

· 1 paper clip

· ability to count to 11 (borrow a kid if this is too difficult)

Procedure:

1 Car keys OFF

2 Remove plastic screw cover from diagnostic plug

3 Turn ignition key to position 2 (engine not running)

4 Using the paper clip, short pin 7 (ground) to pin 19 (reset) on plug & count

5 To reset oil service lights – count to 4

6 To reset inspection light – count to 11

7 Remove clip when time is up

8 Turn ignition off

9 Turn ignition on and check lights

10 If lights have not reset, repeat as required – vary your timing – it will work

11 Replace plastic cover on diagnostic plug

All done!

Why pay for a resetting tool??