Sign in to follow this  
Deminem

Looking for e39 M5

Hi so I've been looking into possibly getting a BMW e39 m5 but I can't for the life of me find any for sale in NZ or even Australia! I've been checking the normal trading websites, trademe, ebay etc plus doing google searches. Over the last couple of years of idly trademe browsing I would have come across less than 5 and most of them had high kms.

I'm currently driving a e39 528 manual that's been in my family since brand new. I love the car but I've always wanted the m5 so I've been looking to try see what could be available and what the price would be likely to be.

Any ideas on leads?

Any help is appreciated! (I'm not looking to definitely buy if I find one but I'm veeeerrryyyyy interested)

yup they are getting rarer and rarer, especially in good nick.

no you can't have mine. :ph34r:

I'm always on the lookout for E39 M5s as well - though I don't have the money right now to buy one! There were 3 listed on TM in the last few weeks but I guess they've all sold now.

You can pick them up really cheaply in the UK - though presumably 10-15 year old cars will have had a harder life in their climate - and ship them for relatively low cost. Not sure how easy it would be to meet emissions and register them but I expect they would qualify as classic or special interest.

I'm always on the lookout for E39 M5s as well - though I don't have the money right now to buy one! There were 3 listed on TM in the last few weeks but I guess they've all sold now.

You can pick them up really cheaply in the UK - though presumably 10-15 year old cars will have had a harder life in their climate - and ship them for relatively low cost. Not sure how easy it would be to meet emissions and register them but I expect they would qualify as classic or special interest.

Thanks for the link QUBE. :)

There are some nice ones in the UK, I wonder how much it'd cost + difficulties to get one to NZ? might be worth looking into. Preliminary cost just for shipping looks to be around the 3-4k mark, but then theres things like insurance and compliance and such too.

And outrageously expensive. One of the ones on TM recently went for $22K on similar kms.

all depends on condition and service record.

one of these with high K's with no service record is prob worth the $22k in average condition.

Where as a minter with low k's and full BMW service record would easily command alot more.

Finding the latter is getting harder & harder.

all depends on condition and service record.

one of these with high K's with no service record is prob worth the $22k in average condition.

Where as a minter with low k's and full BMW service record would easily command alot more.

Finding the latter is getting harder & harder.

Yeah the ones I have seen on trademe have mostly had high kms and been going for around the mind 20's mark.

I can only recall seeing one with lower k's and a bit newer that was asking for low to mid 30's I think.

It might be easier to look for an e46 m3 but I'd much rather the m5.

to be honest.

I'd say the days of finding a nice mint one might be over.

The people whom have them are holding onto them as it's not worth selling them for the current prices. It took me over a year to find mine, I almost had given up and was looking at AMG's & RS audi's or imports.

I would say way from rough or no history ones. They can be expensive to fix.

You might have to import one if you are dead keen on one.

Otherwise you might be better off looking for a good M3 or E60 M5 if that tickles your fancy.

Edited by M5V8

to be honest.

I'd say the days of finding a nice mint one might be over.

The people whom have them are holding onto them as it's not worth selling them for the current prices. It took me over a year to find mine, I almost had given up and was looking at AMG's & RS audi's or imports.

I would say way from rough or no history ones. They can be expensive to fix.

You might have to import one if you are dead keen on one.

Otherwise you might be better off looking for a good M3 or E60 M5 if that tickles your fancy.

I'm not a fan of the e60 shape to be honest, I think the e39 is a timeless classic shape. I think my best bet could be to try import one from the UK, it'd probably wind up being around the 35-40k mark to do so though and thats out of my range at the moment.

Otherwise an e46 m3 is the way to go for me.

I'm not a fan of the e60 shape to be honest, I think the e39 is a timeless classic shape.

i'm with you on that brother!

I'm not a fan of the e60 shape to be honest, I think the e39 is a timeless classic shape.

+1 - By far my favourite BMW shape, though I could live with the new M3s and M5s and the latest M6 is a grower. Not a big fan of the E46 M3 coupe - too small for my taste but I would love to drive one!!

+1 - By far my favourite BMW shape, though I could live with the new M3s and M5s and the latest M6 is a grower. Not a big fan of the E46 M3 coupe - too small for my taste but I would love to drive one!!

I gotta agree with you on all of the new shape BMWS, they're awesome! I particularly like the new m6 to be honest but if I had the money (come on lotto!) I'd probably go for the m5 for practicality's sake.

I've always loved the e46 m3 but I think the e39 is and will continue to be one of the best BMWs ever and it's also just a more practical car.

Keep looking for an m5.. I don't think you would be happy settling for an m3.. And same story applies, can't find a mint one. All that's for sale are rough high km examples.

How about making your own? Haha source an engine and stick it into the 528 u have. Sleeper status :)

Keep looking for an m5.. I don't think you would be happy settling for an m3.. And same story applies, can't find a mint one. All that's for sale are rough high km examples.

How about making your own? Haha source an engine and stick it into the 528 u have. Sleeper status :)

I actually have looked into putting a new engine into my car, the problem is the costs would really rack up quickly with having to purchase an engine, and running gear, probably a new gearbox and clutch and then have all the work done.

I spoke to the a guy at I think it was BM workshop about maybe putting an m3 engine into it (cheaper and easier to find than a m5 motor!) and he just said it wouldnt be worth it for the cost.

Unless you can do all the work yourself I think it would quickly becoming more expensive than doing up a high kms M5.

The engines are no doubt just as hard to find as the cars themselves - though you may be able to ship one from overseas... But then you need new just about everything else, brakes, suspension, exhaust, and so on... (the list will be very long).

EDIT: I would love an E39 M5 - dream car - but if I'm really honest with myself I could never do it justice. I've never driven on a track - and probably wouldn't have the kahunas to put it through its paces if I ever did; most of my driving is around town, and when it's not - what opportunities are there on NZ roads to really test it to the limit? It might be the best car in the world to go around a roundabout at full tilt... sideways - but will I ever do that? Almost certainly not.

So, although I'd love an E39 M5, for less money, I'm really content restoring my 528i - which has bags of power for my driving ability and style - to its former glory.

Edited by jeffbebe

How about a e34 shell with m3 engine. Shell would be cheap enough. And sth different to chucking a turbo on it.

(Something I've been thinking of for my car)

Unless you can do all the work yourself I think it would quickly becoming more expensive than doing up a high kms M5.

The engines are no doubt just as hard to find as the cars themselves - though you may be able to ship one from overseas... But then you need new just about everything else, brakes, suspension, exhaust, and so on... (the list will be very long).

EDIT: I would love an E39 M5 - dream car - but if I'm really honest with myself I could never do it justice. I've never driven on a track - and probably wouldn't have the kahunas to put it through its paces if I ever did; most of my driving is around town, and when it's not - what opportunities are there on NZ roads to really test it to the limit? It might be the best car in the world to go around a roundabout at full tilt... sideways - but will I ever do that? Almost certainly not.

So, although I'd love an E39 M5, for less money, I'm really content restoring my 528i - which has bags of power for my driving ability and style - to its former glory.

I totally agree with you on this point. A 528/530 is a perfectly balanced car that will do it's job well. And sure an m5 wouldnt be used to full potential and that's just sad.

Maybe one of you guys can help me with this too.

My car used to have a rubber front spoiler on the bumper that was like the one on this car.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=564403899

Look closely at the front bumper and you can see it inbetween the wheels from the front on picture.

Now it was held on by two lead strips that you'd clamp together with pliers and was very sturdy, however I noticed a few months ago that it was gone! Needless to say I was p****d off because I was very diligent in checking it at least once a month to make sure it was still on tight and if I even suspected it might have touched a kerb I'd check it.

Now the problem is, is when I went to several BMW parts stores to try find a replacement, they had never even heard of the part. I'd also never seen it on another BMW until just now so this gives me hope I can possibly find a replacement!

If anyone knows where I can go to find one please let me know :)

Awesome thanks!

Having the part number should make this hunt much easier, it pains me to walk up to the car and see it missing :(

^ sounds like a perfect candidate to own an m5!!

Good luck for your search

If NZ sources fail there's always flea bay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40...6706&_rdc=1

I should have joined this place ages ago, you guys are all so helpful it's great!

Thanks for all the help, I'll take and put up some pictures of my car after I wash it today and if I do find that m5 I'll be sure to let you know!

I should have joined this place ages ago, you guys are all so helpful it's great!

Thanks for all the help, I'll take and put up some pictures of my car after I wash it today and if I do find that m5 I'll be sure to let you know!

You're welcome. I've only been a member for a year or so since I bought my first E39. Bimmersport's been an awesome resource and I've met lots of really helpful and knowledgable people. Good luck with the hunt and looking forward to seeing pics of the wagon. A mint E39 motorsport wagon is on my wishlist to sit in the garage next to my sedan!