Sign in to follow this  
Massnz

Converted - Nissan to BMW

Hi Guys

Finally bought myself a real car after owning Nissans all my life. 1996 BMW 328i, 165k on the clock. Interior is mint. Absolutely loving how it drives, so much power and the straight 6 roar :). Would take more photos, get it back from the alarm installer tomorrow.

Only issues so far is it tells me to check my coolant level when I first start the car. I have checked it and it seems fine, do the sensors go on these? I am assuming it's the little plug on the side of the radiator?

post-17739-1361513872.jpg

post-17739-1361513881.jpg

Welcome to Bimmersport!

yes pretty common issue on these older cars now.

If i recall correctly, on E36, they usually have a plastic tank on one end of the radiator that is the expansion tank, and on the bottom of that tank is the sensor, you should see the wire plug going onto it.

Welcome to Bimmersport!

If i recall correctly, on E36, they usually have a plastic tank on one end of the radiator that is the expansion tank, and on the bottom of that tank is the sensor, you should see the wire plug going onto it.

Thanks for the info. Will have a look when I get it back.

Nice looking forums too, might have to show up to a couple of meets :)

Welcome, what Nissan did you have?

I've had a couple of Nissan's and I certainly wouldn't say they're not "real cars". Just generally a different crowd, different tastes.

Welcome to Bimmersport!

I think they are up under the expansion tank.

the sensor isn't very expensive, $40 or so from a good parts store.

Might be worth checking over the cooling system as this can cause big issues later especially if it hasn't been done.

Welcome =)

Love the E36's, looks like you got a real nice tidy one there too.

I had the same 'Check coolant level' issue with my one aswell, coolant was full and never went down, so was an easy fix with replacing that sensor

Welcome =)

Love the E36's, looks like you got a real nice tidy one there too.

I had the same 'Check coolant level' issue with my one aswell, coolant was full and never went down, so was an easy fix with replacing that sensor

Thanks for that mate, good to know that it's a minor thing. Just got it back from the Alarm installer, so I can rest a little easier at night.

Welcome. There is quite a few ex nissan owners here. Only sold mine to go E30 racing.

Welcome. My mother in law has a Nissan and she likes it, she says its pepe.

Check coolant level is German for "have a nice drive" my E39 used to always tell me that when i stated it up, it also used to tell me to "check my cat" but never the dog.

Enjoy the E36, boot always looked smoother with the Japanese plate holders removed.

Welcome. My mother in law has a Nissan and she likes it, she says its pepe.

Check coolant level is German for "have a nice drive" my E39 used to always tell me that when i stated it up, it also used to tell me to "check my cat" but never the dog.

Enjoy the E36, boot always looked smoother with the Japanese plate holders removed.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my P10, but it's just not the same :)