Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

Oil change and spark plugs!

I had the spark plugs changed at BMWorkshop

they use Bosch F7LDCR, charged me $8.80 each +GST+labour

(my engine, M52B25)

Had a bunch of other things done, so not sure how long does the spark plug change accounted for.

I've just done my own service

4.25L Magnetec, repco filter, STP engine flush @ $55

6x NGK plugs @ $46

Cleaned and re-oiled K&N filter, $0

Am yet to do the fuel filter but will do soon (how fuch are the fuel filters)

Have recently replaced g/box and diff oils with red line mtl synthetic @ $30

Resetting service lights - priceless :D

All up it's no where near the $400 that Shelley's charge for a service 1.

so is it worth buying bosch over ngk's?

oil filter $20, does that sound ok? where can you get a air filter from, a stock one?

thnx

6x NGK plugs @ $46

Haha so much cheaper DIY isn't it? Cheaper still when mates work at repco.

6x NGK plugs @ $46

Hello.

Where can i buy red line mtl synthetic tranny/diffr oil ?

I need to flush mine.

Cheers.

Hello.

Where can i buy red line mtl synthetic tranny/diffr oil ?

I need to flush mine.

Cheers.

We get all our redline stuff from Road & Track in Lower Hutt. It's good stuff. Not sure where you'd find it up north, suggest a motorsport type of shop as ripco doesn't sell it.

Regarding oil, filters and spark plugs I have heavily biased opinions based on the experiences I have had.

Spark Plugs: My E28 does not like NGK plugs, they did not last long. I get Bosch plugs from Segedins in Dominion Rd (Auckland), last time the cost was around $21 all up for 6 plugs. I have nothing agianst NGK, they are good plugs and I use them religiously for my bike, but the E28 did not like them.

Engine Oil: My first choice is Motul (4100 15W-50) as it is a top quality semi-synthetic and is the optimum viscosity for my engine given the typical temperature in Auckland and the way I drive the car. There is no varnish buildup in my engine whatsoever, looks brand new inside so no requirement for any flushing agents. My second choice would be either Motul 4100 10W-40 or Castrol Magnetec 10W-40, these are second choices only because of the lower viscosity. I only use Castrol and Motul products: they exist because they make quality oils and not much else. Mobil and Valvoline get thumbs down from me because I have witnessed their oils boil in a bike engine.

Oil Filters: Not all are of equal quality, I use genuine BMW oil filters for that reason. At $22 each they are not prohibitively expensive. For my Toyota I also use genuine filters, it is easy to see the quality difference compared to the likes of Fram, Ryco or Valvoline filters. Get the best filter you can find, an extra $10 for a filter is much cheaper than rebuilding an engine that was starved of oil.

Air filters: Currently using a genuine BMW paper filter, considering changing to a K&N panel filter using the standard air box. Anyone who has experience here and who also has a biased opinion I would like to here about it.

Rod

There's alot of us on here that are using the K&N flate panel filter in the standard air box. K&N work and are easy to clean and re-oil. It's says to do it every 50k miles but I do it on every oil change.

The E28 is one of the only vehicles I have owned to which I have not fiited a K&N filter. Previously I have cleaned them appoximately every 10000km. Upon fitment of the K&N onto the BMW has there been a necessity to make adjustments to compensate for the reduced pressure differential across the filter? I do not want the engine to run lean, I am not particularly keen on putting windows in the top of my pistons.

Rod