Sign in to follow this  
330itis

Tyre pressure sensor e46 M3

Question... I just changed the wheels on my M3 from standard 19" wheels to a better set of standard 19" wheels. Now my trye pressure warning light keeps coming on all the time. Is there any difference between the wheels??? Im sure the tyre pressure was done off the wheel speed sensor. Am I wrong? Is there a difference between wheels?

Question... I just changed the wheels on my M3 from standard 19" wheels to a better set of standard 19" wheels. Now my trye pressure warning light keeps coming on all the time. Is there any difference between the wheels??? Im sure the tyre pressure was done off the wheel speed sensor. Am I wrong? Is there a difference between wheels?

I had the same problem. Once I re-set all my tyre pressures it fixed it. I'm assuming the system works off effective tyre circumference - if one tyre has a smaller effective circumference it alerts you. I don't know how sensitive it is, but I wonder if otherwise identical tyres at the same pressure could trigger it if one was really worn down?

E46 does work off rotation rather than sensors. Reset the values by holding down tps botton down for 10 seconds and see if you have the issue after.

System works well. Had a slow leak which the system picked up when the tyre had dropped to roughly 20 psi.

Cool as thanks guys. Yeah Ive reset it like a dozen times and it keeps coming up. Im glad the mags are the same, must just have a tyre thats slightly different diameter. Ill see if they wear in and it stops doing it. Thanks!

Is the car SMG?

If it is, you'll have to take it on the motorway, run it above 60km/h, put it in neutral and pull both +ve and -ve paddles back simultaneously for about 3 seconds ... it'll reset the wheel speed sensors. There's no lights or any feedback to say it is done correctly, so I would personally do it a couple of times.

Also when you reset the sensor, best way to do it is to turn key to position 2 but not start the car up .... hold the button until the dash light changes colour and then let it go - the light will turn off once calibrated. Turn the car off and then start up again and drive around to recalibrate.

Edited by M3_Power