Sign in to follow this  
Feist92

E36 Flywheel and clutch options

Hey guys

Getting geared up to do a manual conversion on my 98 e36 328 and am starting to get some of the parts together.

Does anyone know of a good place to get the stage 2 F1 flywheel and clutch kit from? Best price i have found is from grip force in the states. They've quoted me with $484 plus $220 shipping wich comes out to around $854NZD

Are there any local companies selling this product?

Alternatively what other options do i have? I know you can use the M20 flywheel or something like that but im not sure if i want mess around with changing the starter. Any other options?

Advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Jono

Edited by Feist92

another option is using a early single mass 316i 318i 318is 318ti type m43 m40 m42 flywheel and getting the clutch kit ramped up to suit the 328i engine , have done a few like this now and they work quite well .

they weigh about 9-10kg depending on which one you get , bolt straight on and use the same starter motor etc.

or try darren he sells these in nz

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-572986426.htm

post-279-1363600336.jpg

post-279-1363600375.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Im running one of darrens 2stage carbon Kevlar clutch kits for an e30 with the early type m20 6.1kg flywheel, e30 starter and e21 clutch release bearing.

Running this on my e36 325i without any issues, starter motor is an easy thing to do if the engine is out haha. Also keep in mind you should be replacing your flywheel bolts and clutch plate bolts. I think this added $50 odd bucks to the total cost.

If you can get that F1 set up into the country for $800-900 I would go that way. Just watch out for customs fees!

As Brent has mentioned see Darren at NZAD I used on of those units with the engine swap cost around $1,000 to 11 hundred. The one from the states may not be any cheaper by the time you get it in your hands should you get hit with GST and freight costs. Which I would check on with a magnifying glass, bad experience with freight costs from the states lately.

Thanks for the info. The one on trade me is the same one i can get from the states for 350 less.

How much would the m40 flywheel and clutch cost? Could i use an e34 clutch with the m40 pressure plate and flywheel?

Costs dependant on what you want to do, but the work below was under $500. I just brought in my old clutch, f/w and p/p etc and got in back within 1 business day

post-5113-1363654732.jpg

Edited by dubman

Duty and gst is going to be $200 so it might not be worth importing. Does m20 flywheel have similar clamping surface area to the stock clutch and flywheel? Just to double check id need an m20 flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing? Or will i have to mix and match

Duty and gst is going to be $200 so it might not be worth importing. Does m20 flywheel have similar clamping surface area to the stock clutch and flywheel? Just to double check id need an m20 flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing? Or will i have to mix and match

Never mind the above. The M20 setup is looking my best bet atm but the smaller clutch surface area is bugging me a little. Has anyone heard about using a M30 flywheel and clutch? Its 240mm clutch like stock so if it works wouldnt be a step backwards like the 228mm of the m20.

Back to the F1 set up does anyone know if you have to use their pressure plate or will another one fit?

Lastly could you recommend some good places to get clutch kits from?

Costs dependant on what you want to do, but the work below was under $500. I just brought in my old clutch, f/w and p/p etc and got in back within 1 business day

post-5113-1363654732.jpg

If im reading right does it say they ground the flywheel to use a 240 mm clutch? if thats true what flywheel was it?

hey Jonathan, same as the one Brent mentioned, from a m40 e30. I have a spare, but you're better off getting p/plate f/wheel and old clucth as whole package, then take it to Autoclutch and tell them your needs. Holds up very well with my 220rwhp motor, but not track tested yet (but I have cofidence it'll hold)