Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

The V8 sound

When I was at Cookies a few weeks ago, one of the guys went to drive the 645 outside. He started it up, and drove really slowly out, so the revs were under about 2k, best sound in the world.

You can't beat the sound of a BMW 6 or 8.

And Ali, your Dads bloody lucky - he gets to race up that huge Mosgiel hill. I'd love to hear it when hes in a rush for a meeting or something :wub:

Dad in a hurry ? Neva ... Him racing up Mosigel hill, you'd never see him do it .. you will catch me racing up 3mile hill/mosgiel hill in his car more than you will see him do it.

As far as performance, my 13A RX3(aka sewing machine)

Whata dreama mate, i think your telling a few fibs

HAHAHAHAHAHA 13A??

Edited by downlow

LOL - Well, I'm old I may have forgotten ... doh!

It was a 1974 Mazda RX3 which I bought brand new in Feb 1974 - I was sure it was a 13A - was I wrong? Maybe it was a 12A - hell I can't remember now, dammit!! I only once got beaten at the lights in those days - by a rather hot Mk 1 Ford Zephyr of all things (which incidentally sounded very, very sweet).

You can't compare those old cars with modern ones - hell a modern push bike would thrash my old cars... :D

In 1974 you had to order new cars in and I didn't even get to drive it as I'd skipped the waiting list (friend of a friend) and had already paid cash for it (it was $3800 new).

Edited by Jazzbass

Guest Spargo

Due to firing order = pulse overlap on the exhaus side, or due to the shape of the crank, ie: flatplane like a ferrari.

No bias at there ay emma, I'd agree with you after hearing the CSL's 6, sounds like nother else in the world. But italian V8's are amazing! Ferrari new F430, oh my god... brought a tear to my eye just hearing it on TV (Do i need help?)

Rotaries are ok apart from when the cutties and chromies brigade put huge great exhausts on them. Keep rotas quiet please guys.

As for american/aussie V8s, I don't care that they might be unrefined, i don't care they don't have variable valve timing, dohc etc. No matter what revs or throttle they you get the feeling they are capable of eating small children. I want big f**k off cams in a big f**k off shiny v8 so that my entire car shakes at the lights.

As for american/aussie V8s, I don't care that they might be unrefined,

isnt that part of the attraction???

ive only been lucky to drive a few old V8's but i can honestly say if you havent driven one you just wouldnt understand!!!

like most people that dont have a V8, i like to give the people that do sh*t. but in reality theres nothing like having a ton of grunt under foot begging to be used!

> No matter what revs or throttle they you get the feeling they are capable of eating small children.

ROTFLMAO - great quote, mate!!! :thumb:

No bias at there ay emma, I'd agree with you after hearing the CSL's 6, sounds like nother else in the world. But italian V8's are amazing! Ferrari new F430, oh my god... brought a tear to my eye just hearing it on TV (Do i need help?)

Rotaries are ok apart from when the cutties and chromies brigade put huge great exhausts on them. Keep rotas quiet please guys.

As for american/aussie V8s, I don't care that they might be unrefined, i don't care they don't have variable valve timing, dohc etc. No matter what revs or throttle they you get the feeling they are capable of eating small children. I want big f**k off cams in a big f**k off shiny v8 so that my entire car shakes at the lights.

Yeah, im biased, but I heard a Mercedes 6 cyl today and it sounded bloody good too. I'm sure their 8's sound just as good too.

Your right, there nothing like a big gurgle of a yank or aussie V8, but i only like the sound, they don't actually look good.

And Rog ( i think? Jazzbass anyway) your starting to sound like one of us! You don't sound "old" at all. :thumb:

The 4.4 V8 is truely a great sound but there is definately one thing better IMO.....and thats the sound of a 750il V12 at 4000rpm and above.

Up until that point its just cool, calm and collected and you are already travelling at quiet a pace. But put the rear windows down and listen as you plant your foot.

The scream is incredible not to mention the velocity you get to :D