Sign in to follow this  
Mr2low

e39 paint restoration

Well as I'm stuck waiting for probate, i thought I'd try to reduce/eliminate the issues i have with my paint this is a section of my bonnet

As you can see this looks like sh*t

I've tried scratch x (nothing)

i've tried meguiars mirror glaze #2 fine cut cleaner followed by mirror glaze #9 swirl remover (a little better)

how far do I go? Bar busting out the sand paper and wet sanding the car.

next option is to go buy mirror glaze # 1 medium cleaner

also i seem to have tar from hell, not even these compounds will remove

Is BMW paint really this hard?

As you can see this looks like sh*t

I've tried scratch x (nothing)

i've tried meguiars mirror glaze #2 fine cut cleaner followed by mirror glaze #9 swirl remover (a little better)

how far do I go? Bar busting out the sand paper and wet sanding the car.

next option is to go buy mirror glaze # 1 medium cleaner

also i seem to have tar from hell, not even these compounds will remove

Is BMW paint really this hard?

Try a decent clay bar kit - make sure to turn and knead the clay regularly and keep the surface wet (do it well out of the sun, on a cool surface).

I think the problem is going to be that a lot of that has eaten into the surface though - probably needs a good machine cut (probably by a professional too - it's easy to screw up!)

The best tar remover I have found is Kerosene - you can spray/wipe a light coat on, and leave it for a while to soften the spots. Then wipe them off with a kero soaked rag. It also leaves a waxy film on the car that you can wipe off. Avoid getting it on the rubber and plastics though.

Try a decent clay bar kit - make sure to turn and knead the clay regularly and keep the surface wet (do it well out of the sun, on a cool surface).

I think the problem is going to be that a lot of that has eaten into the surface though - probably needs a good machine cut (probably by a professional too - it's easy to screw up!)

The best tar remover I have found is Kerosene - you can spray/wipe a light coat on, and leave it for a while to soften the spots. Then wipe them off with a kero soaked rag. It also leaves a waxy film on the car that you can wipe off. Avoid getting it on the rubber and plastics though.

yeah first thing i did was to clay bar the car, each panel has come up glassy smooth except for the bonnet, clay bar just seams to run over the top of the tar/sap.

Will try kero, hopefully this removes tar/sap. The compounds I've been using are the same i used to bring a sun faded red mr2 back to like new paint. Just amazed by how hard the paint is, as the same compounds are barely touching the surface.

Edited by Mr2low

well spent a few (6) hours working on 3 panels :rolleyes: and please ignore the crap all over the place had to dry my clothes for work, so the dryer is pointing out the door

haven't used a wax yet just cutting compounds

depth of colour again no wax

Edited by Mr2low

The compounds you are using are quite light, something like meguairs m105 on a cutting pad followed by a lighter compound or finish on 105 if you are good and you could knock panels out in 20-30 minutes.

The compounds you are using are quite light, something like meguairs m105 on a cutting pad followed by a lighter compound or finish on 105 if you are good and you could knock panels out in 20-30 minutes.

yeah been reading about m105 looks like its gonna be the best option, looks like it could be fun

Lookin' good so far. Are you using meguiars because you already had it or did you buy it for doing this/

Only reason i ask is i get tired of people saying meguiars or mothers are the best. Not having a go at ya mate, just frustrating is all.

I use many different products in search of one i 'like' (still searching after 30 years tho' haha) This is one of the results of using Evercoat products, good finish and dirt cheap.

post-3653-1364799333.jpg

Lookin' good so far. Are you using meguiars because you already had it or did you buy it for doing this/

Only reason i ask is i get tired of people saying meguiars or mothers are the best. Not having a go at ya mate, just frustrating is all.

I use many different products in search of one i 'like' (still searching after 30 years tho' haha) This is one of the results of using Evercoat products, good finish and dirt cheap.

post-3653-1364799333.jpg

that's fair enough na already had it, hate the name stuff too get it at work every day. I must have canon because.... I just roll my eyes lol brand Nazis.

ill have a hunt for it