Sign in to follow this  
keen

How to fit serpentine over tensioner pulley

Can someone help with the easy way to fit a new serpentine belt back on after replacing leaking oil gasket on filler plate. the car is a 2000 e46 318 Japanese import. There must be a simple way to back the tensioner pulley off but I'm dammed if I can see how it is.

Should be tensioner lug bolt on middle pulley(17mm iirc) which you put a socket or spanner on and rotate anti clockwise to release tension

Should be tensioner lug bolt on middle pulley(17mm iirc) which you put a socket or spanner on and rotate anti clockwise to release tension

I cant see a 17 mm anywhere near the pully. there is a 13mm on the pully but not keen to swing on that in case it comes undone. There are two holes that Im wondering if you somehow tension the pully right up, and slide a punch in there, and fit the belt and again somhow pull it out.

Yeah it could be a 13mm and its on the pulley, i know what you mean but it doesn't come undone. You can slot a punch etc to hold tension but i managed to do it without needing to.

Is this any help a n42 engine. Had to reduce it can you see the black and red arrows. From memory I put a socket on the nut, black arrow and removed the belt tension. Then with a nail or allen key slid it in the hole, red arrow when the two holes aligned.

post-1581-1364787303.jpg

Is this any help a n42 engine. Had to reduce it can you see the black and red arrows. From memory I put a socket on the nut, black arrow and removed the belt tension. Then with a nail or allen key slid it in the hole, red arrow when the two holes aligned.

post-1581-1364787303.jpg

thank you both will give that a try

thank you both will give that a try

Thanks very much guys you were quite correct. I put a socket and a power bar onto it and it worked like a dream. all back together and running great.