Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 528i air con compressor

It's been a week of it... And to finish me off my a/c compressor has developed a charming rattle so something's loose inside.

Probably going to cost around $500 to remove and re-con. Anyone know where I can get a cost-effective new or reconditioned unit? Don't want to buy used if possible.

You sure it's not the AC tensioner ??

99% sure but a mate of mine said it might potentially have been over-gassed which can cause a build up of liquid in the compressor and cause a rattle over time. Hoping that's the case as it will be a lot cheaper to fix than replacing the compressor.

Going to take it to my local guy for a check up early next week for full diagnosis.

A rattle in the A/C compressor that isn't simply the tensioner sounds pretty catastrophic to me... Past experience with an E46 A/C compressor (and I believe they are similar if not the same for E39's) front seal replacement suggests that $500 is on the very cheap side - especially if there are more parts than a simple seal required.

Ironically I think the OE supplier is Denso (who are or were at least part owned by Toyota)...

You could try Civic Wholesale for a new part.

Compressor $100 @ Hellbm. Fit and regas xtra.

A rattle in the A/C compressor that isn't simply the tensioner sounds pretty catastrophic to me... Past experience with an E46 A/C compressor (and I believe they are similar if not the same for E39's) front seal replacement suggests that $500 is on the very cheap side - especially if there are more parts than a simple seal required.

Ironically I think the OE supplier is Denso (who are or were at least part owned by Toyota)...

You could try Civic Wholesale for a new part.

Can get a brand new Denso compressor online and shipped for $400 and they're pretty easy to remove/install by the looks of things - though would need someone to de-gas - re-gas - will wait to see what the check up throws up next week.

Compressor $100 @ Hellbm. Fit and regas xtra.

Thanks Ray. May well take you up on that if a replacement's required. What (approx) would you charge for labour and re-gas?

Edited by jeffbebe

Can get a brand new Denso compressor online and shipped for $400 and they're pretty easy to remove/install by the looks of things - though would need someone to de-gas - re-gas - will wait to see what the check up throws up next week.

Thanks Ray. May well take you up on that if a replacement's required. What (approx) would you charge for labour and re-gas?

Approx $180 for install and regas.

Approx $180 for install and regas.

Awesome, thanks Ray. Will definitely be in touch if a replacement's required.

I pulled one from my M52B28 conversion... would probably easier to go to Ray as it'll cost $100 by the time you ship the heavy thing. about 90,000km on it.