Sign in to follow this  
///MPROVD

e36 subframe mounts cracked

hey guy i was changing my open diff out to an lsd the other day and i noticed quite a serious crack in the right front mount i had noticed the car sitting slightly lower on one side i assumed it was sagging springs. ive looked around and it seems to be a common problem ive looked into it and found a subframe reinforcement kit BUT from the looks of their repair video there mounts only have cracks and are easy to weld up i have SOOO much metal missing around the mount that im worried it might be beyond repair.

SO my question is has anyone done this befor was it a Major to fix. ive thought i could try fit a plate inside and weld it from the inside repair and then install reinforcement kit.

please help me sorry i cant upload pics forum wont let me

post-16160-1365492633.jpg

Edited by ibboostn

Youl need to resize pics, google image resizer

Youl need to resize pics, google image resizer

thanks and done any thoughts

Oh boy, are we talking about your e36? Normally the passengers rear is the first to go. I tore mine and although repaired it has plagued me ever since. Look under projects for thorburn(James) he has done a pretty comprehensive repair on an e36 325i.

hey guy i was changing my open diff out to an lsd the other day and i noticed quite a serious crack in the right front mount i had noticed the car sitting slightly lower on one side i assumed it was sagging springs. ive looked around and it seems to be a common problem ive looked into it and found a subframe reinforcement kit BUT from the looks of their repair video there mounts only have cracks and are easy to weld up i have SOOO much metal missing around the mount that im worried it might be beyond repair.

SO my question is has anyone done this befor was it a Major to fix. ive thought i could try fit a plate inside and weld it from the inside repair and then install reinforcement kit.

please help me sorry i cant upload pics forum wont let me

Oh boy, are we talking about your e36? Normally the passengers rear is the first to go. I tore mine and although repaired it has plagued me ever since. Look under projects for thorburn(James) he has done a pretty comprehensive repair on an e36 325i.

yeah my e36. was your repair difficult i plan to reinforce it as well id like to get "track ready" haha so its a must id rather not have to re shell

could you link me repair write up that would be great cheers

Visit My Website

This is the one I was talking about^^. I would advice not to drive the car around anywhere as it will cause further stress on the other mounting points. I don't have a write up for what I did, but I got hold of the m3 reinforcement plates from turner motorsports. I cut a small square between the two plastic bungs inside car under rear seat, this gave wme access to the torn mount from the top. I repaired the steel which the subframe threaded mount attaches to (check around area thoroughly for any other splitting and cracking. I cleaned the mounting tab up and welded it to the reinforcement plate. I ended up drilling extra holes in the plate for more spot welds, then welded it into position. Then it was a matter of welding it from the top of the mount ( the square you cut out) and then welding a plate back around the square.

Attached is the passengers side rear mount, similar principal or do it the way James has done by drilling out the spot welds and replacing that hole subframe anchor section (which would be the most reassuring way).

yeah my e36. was your repair difficult i plan to reinforce it as well id like to get "track ready" haha so its a must id rather not have to re shell

could you link me repair write up that would be great cheers

post-1183-1365498283.jpg

post-1183-1365498304.jpg

post-1183-1365498317.jpg

Edited by BMRBOI

hey thanks heaps im going to do what james did like i said id like to do it properly i messaged him with my questions and ill make a start asap these are really helpful write ups. im hoping i dont have to replace the rear mounts

I got the cross members from the bmw dealership in Hamilton. Not sure if I added a price to the build thread or not. If not I've got no idea. Can get you the part numbers if they aren't on the build as well.

I got the reinforcement plates from pelicanparts while i was getting some other parts. They are available through dealerships and probably euroitalian and miland parts

Because yours is a coupe it'll be a lot easier to get to the front cross member.

Steps I took went something like this-

Remove interior that could get hot.

Remove battery and unplug ecu(some would say it isn't necessary)

Remove rear subframe

Remove fuel tank

Wire wheel all the underseal off around the lip of the crossmember

Cut or grind through the welded parts.

Remove sound deadening above cross member.Dry ice is definitely worth the money

Drill out all the spot from the top(just because I found it easier) and get the others from underneath.

Prep the new crossmember for welding(add reinforcements while it's not upside down)

Setup a jig or the subframe to make sure it'll bot up in the right place

Remove the crossmember. The underseal and any leftover bits of spot weld make it a bitch to remove

Put new crossmember in pace and set up with jig. Tack in place

Plug weld through all your drilled hoes and replicate the original welds holding it in place. Add some extra stitches if you so desire.

Paint and seam seal it all

Re-install parts

Good luck with it. If you do decide to do it yourself I'll try help out anyway I can

I got the cross members from the bmw dealership in Hamilton. Not sure if I added a price to the build thread or not. If not I've got no idea. Can get you the part numbers if they aren't on the build as well.

I got the reinforcement plates from pelicanparts while i was getting some other parts. They are available through dealerships and probably euroitalian and miland parts

Because yours is a coupe it'll be a lot easier to get to the front cross member.

Steps I took went something like this-

Remove interior that could get hot.

Remove battery and unplug ecu(some would say it isn't necessary)

Remove rear subframe

Remove fuel tank

Wire wheel all the underseal off around the lip of the crossmember

Cut or grind through the welded parts.

Remove sound deadening above cross member.Dry ice is definitely worth the money

Drill out all the spot from the top(just because I found it easier) and get the others from underneath.

Prep the new crossmember for welding(add reinforcements while it's not upside down)

Setup a jig or the subframe to make sure it'll bot up in the right place

Remove the crossmember. The underseal and any leftover bits of spot weld make it a bitch to remove

Put new crossmember in pace and set up with jig. Tack in place

Plug weld through all your drilled hoes and replicate the original welds holding it in place. Add some extra stitches if you so desire.

Paint and seam seal it all

Re-install parts

Good luck with it. If you do decide to do it yourself I'll try help out anyway I can

thanks heaps mate really helpfull ill start this weekend and yet you know how i get along i just called bmw 284+gst for front and 247+gst for rear they have to come from germany so ill pull it all apart just to check the the mount are ohk i really really hope it is just the front id hate to have to do the back as well. but yeah ill keep you up to date