Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Headlight Outter Glass - Sealant recommendations?

I had to replace a glass lens on one of my E36s headlight a couple of years ago, to my discredit I didn't use the right sealant back then, but it seemed to work, however it's finally given up and started leaking water, and subsequently fogging up etc.

Could anyone recommend me a locally available product that is best to use for sealing glass lenses to the plastic housing? I know they shouldn't be silicone based as they go hard making it a nightmare to remove in future.

Cheers in advance.

Edited by Michael.

I've always used ordinary silicone on my ones with no real issues. Could try urithane as a better sealer

You could use non-setting winscreen sealer (for use on rubber fitted windows, not bonded).

I use Wurth Dab-Off, which semi sets, but remains soft. It's a butyl rubber type sealer, but is black, so you want to be careful it doesn't squeeze into the inside too much.

Yeah Allan, I think thats not too dissimilar to what I used previously - I think the issue I had was the wrong temperature range.

Upon inspection it seems the heat of the lights gradually made the sealant move out of position allowing an opening to form.

The Wurth glass sealant has a quoted range of 20-80c which should be suitable.