Sign in to follow this  
MilesP

WTB E46

Budget 9.5k

Preferably a 4 cylinder variant. Must not be the face lift 318i Rover engine.

Low kms and extremely tidy.

PM!

how about my 330i? relatively low kms, ive looked after it really well and its in superb condition.. only think is im after a little bit more than 9.5k..

Why are you selling yours just to buy another just like it...

Why are you selling yours just to buy another just like it...

Really don't like the M-sport suspension but love the E46

Maybe you should just buy some softer springs and then keep the car? The m sport ones look waaaay better than a standard one!

Your sig Miles....

I drove a E91 320i and if that has the same engine in it they are bloody gutless. If the 6 cyclinder versions don't use much more fuel, that's where I'd be heading, after driving the 320i and getting back into my 320d when it had a trailer on, the 320d still pulled and went far better.

Has anyone here actually had much experience with the 318i?

I NEVER thought that I would be buying a 318i EVER until I test drove one out of interest.

Compared to the 6 cylinder variant they are lighter and deliver power much faster. Ok yes they have less power but they are not a slow car at all. I honestly think its maybe a second slower then my E36 323i.

I test drove a 320i and it felt heavier than the 318i and more bogged down some how.

Also the other reason I went for the 318i is that the M43 engine (not the facelift which is actually a dreaded Rover engine :o) is extremely easy to maintain and repair. For example the water pump which all E46 variants needed done takes 30 mins to change in the 318i while it takes an hour in the 6 cylinder variant.

In my mind, better on gas, better city driving, cheaper to repair and maintain. Why would you buy anything else? I would definitely consider a 325i and upwards but it would have to be an incredibly genuine car.

I have had a pre-facelifted E46 318 for 3 years and a facelifted 1 for 5 years.

I have to say I like the facelifted 1 more as it's got (slightly) more grunt and it simpliy looks more modern.

I sometimes drive my parent's E90 320i as well and i reckon it is at another level. Better shape, moother gearbox, better engine, better sound and better suspension (comparing to my E46s)

HOWEVER having said all that, I think you might regret buying a 318 as they really lack power! but that's only my opinion anyway