Sign in to follow this  
arcon

E46 Air flow meter / engine probs

just a few days ago i had a "faulty engine air flow meter" replaced. it was apprently causing poor engine performance & the engine light to remain on. all up spent about 700 +gst.

the performance didn't really improve... today it seemed really sliggish & now the engine light is always on again >:( obviously i will take it back for inspection but what are the odds its a new problem... or possibly a complete misdiagnose the first time round..? 2001 320i, 120Ks.

Where are you? Hellbm has full diagnostic/repair facilitys at the best prices.

Check the rubber (or should i say plastic) piping that goes from the AFM to the throttle body, most (including mine) get old and split causing massive intake leaks. Best bet is to remove it all and inspect.

Edited by KwS

thanks for replies, yep it was split in the intake pipe which the service centre replaced for me.

thanks for replies, yep it was split in the intake pipe which the service centre replaced for me.

Did they give back your old airflow meter and credit you for it?

Reading codes is easy - knowing what they really mean is where the good mechanics are separated from the parts replacers. A code for a particular part does NOT mean that part is faulty - it means that part is giving unexpected readings, which can be caused by a lot of other things.

A $40 intake boot is a much cheaper repair than a $700 MAF!