Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 CD Player 'NO DISCS'

I have an e39 520i 2001 with the stock audio system.

This morning I switched my audio unit to radio to listen to some morning radio - but ever since then I can't switch back to CD mode. It keeps displaying 'NO DISCS'. I have checked my boot and the CD's are definitely in there, the unit is still working electrically (ejects the CD rack, checks the CD's when the rack is re-entered etc.), so I have no idea why the audio unit is displaying 'NO DISCS'. I do have a spare stock CD player (for the boot) at home but have not tried connecting this before.

Other info: The last couple of days I did notice the CD player to be very slow i.e. takes a long time to load a CD, sometimes the unit just stops playing music when I brake too hard / drive over a bump (but not always, happened a few times). When playing music from CD's 4-6 everything ran fine, but 1-3 were the CD's causing problems - either being too slow or just not loading or turning off when driving over bumps.

Any idea what could be wrong with audio unit / CD player for it to not recognize that there are discs in there?

Cheers

worn out lazer or cd motor etc . i have replacement cd stackers if you want one

brent@bmworld.co.nz

papakura

I've got one too + MID if needed. Keen to be rid of it so open to offers. PM me.

Lithuim grease is your friend if its slow loading. You'll need to take the outer stacker case off. The ribon cables inside need to come out to make it easier via tabs on the edge ifthe connector.Grease all metal edges that move against each other. Also check the nylon wheel that does the up down motion. This can be adjusted by means of small Philips screwdriver. If the wheel is getting worn it jams a bit. Push it further into the cog.

Roughly takes an hour to do. Check out any alpine stacker disassembly pics / videos via google if you need help

Wheel adjustment and how it comes apart

https://blogs.oracle.com/miko/entry/cd_changer_repair

Edited by Neal

Thanks for the help guys. Turns out my replacement stacker was faulty as well (previous owner must have replaced it with current one).

In the end I've decided to install an after-market head unit as I've been wanting AUX/USB connection for a while. Car is currently at rapid radio having the head unit, as well as a sub, being fitted. Was going to go for the module for retain steering wheel controls, but that was a bit costly so left it out, I'm sure i'll survive.

Hope the results are good.