Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Daylight Viewable LCD Monitor Recomendations

This is off the BMW topic, but no use asking on the NZMCA forum as most posters are 80+ and don't really understand what I am asking :)

I have a Ex Maui 6 Berth Motorhome and are looking for a LCD Monitor to run a reverse camera, that is nice and clear, bright and daylight viewable.

I have tried a couple ex eBay, 7 inch jobbies with GPS etc, but even with the brighteness turned all the way up and a glare guard fitted, the screen is really only viewable at night !!

I have decided to use my TomTom for GPS, as it is far superior, so the monitor would be for the reverse camera only.

Quite important, as centre rearview is no existant and dangerous at camp sites with kids ruinning around etc.

I have considered pulling a high res screen out of a salvage camera, but would be simpler if there is something on the market that is better quality than 95% of the reverse monitors out there.

I even considered using a iPad Mini, but there is no way I know to get AV input into that ..... is there ??

I hope somebody may have been thru this and found a good one !

Thanks

You need to be looking at polarised monitor systems and/or oLED displays. They have a much better contrast ratio and don't rely on a back light.

Polarisation will remove the glare. Just a side note, these can have issues when wearing polarised sunglasses .. the monitor can appear blank. But its a trade off.

There is no real silver bullet to the problem accept a sun shade.. This is why all modern BMWs have the monitors inset into the dash or popup screen.

It also has a lot to with the vehicle the screen is going into EG the e46 dash board angle is quite bad for sunlight interference where as the e39 is much better.

I have had success with MIMO monitors .. and have since moved on to developing my own solution using OE stuff from manufactures

Have you thought about a wifi reversing camera ? Could open up Ipad mini options

Have you thought about a wifi reversing camera ? Could open up Ipad mini options

Yes, done a bit of research on this idea, but it seems most need to go thru a router first. Not ideal in a vehicle.

Do you know of any that work on 'direct' wifi and run on 12volt ?

Should be able to turn on personal hotspot on the ipad so it will act as an access point. No need for a router.

Have a look at an app called icam. it will take video from streaming wifi web cams. looks like you can set up so that it will bring any web cam up if it detects movement.

Last part would be to get a waterproof ip web cam , many are 5 volt so your standard $20 car usb 5volt 2 amp charger . Connect it to 12 volt via a relay off you reverse lights. In theory would bring up the camera video each time it's power on

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/82645404...ome_hidden.html

or

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/69076358...n_Baby_Pet.html

Edited by Neal

Thanks for your input Neal, I'll look at that idea, I can probably us a cheaper Acer B1 Tablet too :)

Should be able to turn on personal hotspot on the ipad so it will act as an access point. No need for a router.

Have a look at an app called icam. it will take video from streaming wifi web cams. looks like you can set up so that it will bring any web cam up if it detects movement.

Last part would be to get a waterproof ip web cam , many are 5 volt so your standard $20 car usb 5volt 2 amp charger . Connect it to 12 volt via a relay off you reverse lights. In theory would bring up the camera video each time it's power on

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/82645404...ome_hidden.html

or

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/69076358...n_Baby_Pet.html