Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

Ok so I was bored: Beamer/Bimmer

Havingsome time to fill in at work I did some research on the usage of Bimmer and Beamer around the world.

The general consensus came out that Bimmer is predominately American, where Beamer is predominately the rest of the world, although there are contradictions in all countries.

Personally, I use either as suits, with maybe a preference for Beamer, but bloody hell, you could get flamed crispy on some forums for using one or the other.

Boy, some people really do have anger issues!! There are some real wankers out there!!

I could not believe some people could get so upset over this... I'm so glad I'm a Kiwi!!

i always refer to bmw as beemer.

bimmer sounds stupid IMO.

This site, to who ever i have told, is beamersport.

WTF is bimmer anyway? I thought it was natural saying beemer, as it is short for "bee-em-double you"

One article I read said that however it was spelt, Beemer, Beamer, Bimmer - it was always prounounced bee-mer.... have to wonder about that...

Bimmer sounds so much like 'bim' in bimbo ... nothing like beamer... but then against neither one is correct. Would have though Beemer/ Beamer more appropriate.

bimmer = BMW cars.

Beamer = BMW motorbikes.

haha i know more abut that than all you bimer freaks out there.

pwned.

well judging that the rest of the world embraces every other portion of american culture this seems quite small in comparison, aint that right my westside bra? wrod up.

I have always followed sic's view, and quite naturally refer to "the bimmer".

Beamer seems strange to me??

I looked at pwned but was more taken by PWN3D.

Have opted for something totally different in the end.

Do a search 0 I'm sure bimmer/beamer has been discussed before.

Guest Andrew

bimmer = BMW cars.

Beamer = BMW motorbikes.

haha i know more abut that than all you bimer freaks out there.

pwned.

he is right - and even the germans agree with this.

BIMMERSPORT is said BEAMERSPORT.

The answer in part lies in knowing some BMW history and what came first.

Okay. Now this will clear this all up.

Here's the basis off it all.

In the beginning of time BMW started as motorbikes.

Their main competition were BSA bikes.

They both developed slang names. Beemers and Beesers.

To avoid confusion, BMW cars were called Bimmers.

Then somewhere along the way the yanks got lost and that's why they tend to call anything BMW related a Beemer or even a Beamer.

So there you have it

:thumb:

I thought in the beginning they started as aeroplane engines - hence the propellor logo??? B)

Its certainly no biggie and I will continue to call my car a Beemer.

I thought in the beginning they started as aeroplane engines - hence the propellor logo???  B)

Its certainly no biggie and I will continue to call my car a Beemer.

just call it "the barge" and everyone knows what your talking about.. boat sized bimmers. Edited by *sic

The answer in part lies in knowing some BMW history and what came first.

Okay. Now this will clear this all up.

Here's the basis off it all.

In the beginning of time BMW started as motorbikes.

Their main competition were BSA bikes.

They both developed slang names.  Beemers and Beesers.

To avoid confusion, BMW cars were called Bimmers.

Then somewhere along the way the yanks got lost and that's why they tend to call anything BMW related a Beemer or even a Beamer.

So there you have it

:thumb:

OK, that MAY be where the terms came from, but certainly not BMW itself - BMW was actually built upon the merger and take over of several companies over the years. One had the BMW name another the facility and another the financial nounce capital etc. This happened over several years. The original intention (writtien in the articles of indenture for the company) was always to make coaches. Airplane engines were embarked on due to appropriate machinery and plant coming available and it being an easy area to make money in that era. The 1st world war helped move that area along in later years, but that was of ourse halted for some time by the restrictions placed on Germany by the allies after the war (i.e. not allowed to produce aircraft etc cos they were scared of those bloody good german planes - go the luftwafe!). There was a car produced by BMW before the first bike (from memory) but it was an Austin made under license and not badged a BMW. Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Okay then. I typed that up too quick. Ignore the first part. I thought this thread was about bimmer or beamer. but hey. I wasn't trying to tell you all where BMW started. Just about the origins of the names