Sign in to follow this  
Arma

This 2000 540i msport

So I bought this car and it's excellent. Two $16 a piece rubber mounts for the oil filter from Gavin @ Euroitalian (no more cable ties) are the first of a few remedial purchases. I've just placed an order for a full set of NGK iridium spark plugs, K&N air and oil filters (new gasket that comes with the oil filter will fix leak from oil filter housing) and will do a full service and skim the rotors as soon as everything arrives.

Fantastic car and so much power - especially torque - compared to the 528i. Absolutely loving it. Then start saving for one of these...

Posted Image

And then one of these...

Posted Image

Edited by jeffbebe

Reasons for the K&N?

I ran one in my M62tu and was more hassle then it was worth. The oils used can cause havoc with the MAF sensor.

P.S if you want Bosch genuine MAF sensor's www.maf-shop.com do them for a really competative price! shipping is pretty decent too.

Nice buy. Looking at getting one of these myself towards the end of the year.

Not so much trademe discussion but question about these cars in general. Ive only really driven manual cars and the only powerful tiptronic I've driven is my parents 2007 Falcon. What's the torque converter drain like on these? I'm guessing since it's a V8 you can't feel it so much and would still take off quick.

Perhaps a better invest would be a set of 4-2-1 custom headers and a nice exhaust + retune over a supercharger kit.

Those centrifugal types seem a bit of a second-rate option too, vs a positive displacement blower or exhaust driven turbo. Totally different way to build boost. I suppose they aren't cheap kits either?

Reasons for the K&N?

I ran one in my M62tu and was more hassle then it was worth. The oils used can cause havoc with the MAF sensor.

TBH I thought that was an old wives' tale. If there's evidence to suggest otherwise I won't use it.

What's the torque converter drain like on these? I'm guessing since it's a V8 you can't feel it so much and would still take off quick.

Not sure what a torque converter drain is but the car's definitely quick and acceleration in sport mode is excellent. Planning manual conversion in the long term though.

Perhaps a better invest would be a set of 4-2-1 custom headers and a nice exhaust + retune over a supercharger kit.

Those centrifugal types seem a bit of a second-rate option too, vs a positive displacement blower or exhaust driven turbo. Totally different way to build boost. I suppose they aren't cheap kits either?

Can custom headers, retune and exhaust add 140 horses? I'm not wedded to the supercharger, just read a lot of good Google feedback. Also apparently much cheaper than turboing from what I've read but I'm open to suggestion as I know next to nothing. Sell me your ideas, gentlemen! Preferably something with lots of power that won't cost (too much) more than the car and won't blow the engine up - I do still want to drive it to the shops now and again!

Not sure what a torque converter drain is but the car's definitely quick and acceleration in sport mode is excellent. Planning manual conversion in the long term though.

Can custom headers, retune and exhaust add 140 horses? I'm not wedded to the supercharger, just read a lot of good Google feedback. Also apparently much cheaper than turboing from what I've read but I'm open to suggestion as I know next to nothing. Sell me your ideas, gentlemen! Preferably something with lots of power that won't cost (too much) more than the car and won't blow the engine up - I do still want to drive it to the shops now and again!

How much will an SC kit, tuning, manual conversion set you back?

I remember asking Ray for a quote way back when I'd just gotten my 530 and it wasn't cheap! Add that to an SC kit, exhaust, remap, cost of car - You're in E39 M5 pricing territory?

How much will an SC kit, tuning, manual conversion set you back?

I remember asking Ray for a quote way back when I'd just gotten my 530 and it wasn't cheap! Add that to an SC kit, exhaust, remap, cost of car - You're in E39 M5 pricing territory?

I reckon about $12K all up give or take - so car plus upgrades would be just under $21K. Hard to find a decent M5 for that kind of money plus, the all important factor, I can afford to upgrade piecemeal... I can't afford $21K in one hit. Plus, if the stuff I've read is correct the supercharged M62 will be a bit more powerful (at around 420bhp) than the M5, though I expect handling, etc won't be as good.

Edited by jeffbebe

I reckon about $12K all up give or take - so car plus upgrades would be just under $21K. Hard to find a decent M5 for that kind of money plus, the all important factor, I can afford to upgrade piecemeal... I can't afford $21K in one hit. Plus, if the stuff I've read is correct the supercharged M62 will be a bit more powerful (at around 420bhp) than the M5, though I expect handling, etc won't be as good.

How are you planning to do the manual conversion? Through Ray? DIY?

How are you planning to do the manual conversion? Through Ray? DIY?

Definitely Ray. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it. Would like to get involved though if Ray doesn't mind me getting in the way! haha

Also, have a look at this - http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry486745 - could be a cool (and cheap) alternative.

Definitely Ray. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it. Would like to get involved though if Ray doesn't mind me getting in the way! haha

Also, have a look at this - http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry486745 - could be a cool (and cheap) alternative.

Have you asked Ray for a quote?

When I did when I was considering it, it could've turned my hair white :S

Have you asked Ray for a quote?

When I did when I was considering it, it could've turned my hair white :S

Ray's got my 528i at the moment to replace the air con compressor for its new owner. Going to have a chat to him when I pick it up later today. Don't worry, I know it's not cheap. That's why the Dinan SW upgrade interested me so much.

Ray's got my 528i at the moment to replace the air con compressor for its new owner. Going to have a chat to him when I pick it up later today. Don't worry, I know it's not cheap. That's why the Dinan SW upgrade interested me so much.

The Dinan upgrade looks good. I'll have a proper read of it after this class. Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

I looked at going the manual conversion with M5 LSD + SC kit for my 540i. But I ended up just going with an M5.

The complete SC kit is about 5k USD + shipping and taxes. Although you could probably get just the compressor, and the rest of the bits seperately for cheaper.

Manual conversion, with a new clutch kit, and new bushes for the rear end about 6 - 7k depending on how thorough you want to be, and what clutch you go with. Probably a good idea to look at an uprated clutch and flywheel if you're SC'ing. Don't forget brakes too :-)

One thing i've noticed is from going to manual after driving an auto v8 for the passed 5 years, it does take getting used too. The auto and the V8 in the 540i go together so nicely. If it were me, I'd just keep it as it is, and spend some $ on the SC kit, and upgrading the brakes and suspension. LSD also.

One thing i've noticed is from going to manual after driving an auto v8 for the passed 5 years, it does take getting used too. The auto and the V8 in the 540i go together so nicely. If it were me, I'd just keep it as it is, and spend some $ on the SC kit, and upgrading the brakes and suspension. LSD also.

I hear you. I do love driving manuals (and don't get do it very often) but the auto is more practical and obviously by far the cheaper option. If the Dinan SW upgrade is possible on a Euro spec car, that would be a brilliant compromise.

TBH I thought that was an old wives' tale. If there's evidence to suggest otherwise I won't use it.

I used it in my old 2002 540 sport and in 2001 530 sport never had any problems what so ever