Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Put your ride on display for a good cause...

I have a friend who is involved in an Expo aimed mostly at teens (but also a family event) to raise awareness for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, and to raise money to help those affected (both those with the syndrome and their families etc). This is a bit different to what I was originally propositioned, so those of you who have read this please read again. I was told it was going to be a workshop for troubled teens but it appears that somewhere along the line I was sent the literature for a different event.

Ehlers Danlos Syndrome is a connective tissue disorder - under current treatments available, the almost certain probable future for people who are suspected to have this disorder, is that they will live life with difficulties in performing daily activities, suffer progressively more and more pain, live a life of the fear that they may suffer from painful dislocations, organ rupture, and unexpected death.

It is relatively rare, however those affected by it would certainly appreciate any help.

The plan is to hold a fund raiser in Orewa. All the proceeds from this event will be donated to EDFNZ (Ehlers Danlos Foundation of NZ) for testing and treatment. The expo will also increase the awareness of EDS to a level where the Ministry of health may list it as being worthy of funding. From there it will get easier to be tested, and get treatment.

The fund raiser will be called “Lifestyle creationz – Youth Expo” it will consist of an annual one day event, this year to be held in the

Hibiscus Coast Youth Center, Behind KFC Hibiscus Coast Highway Orewa

On November 6th from 9am – 5pm

This is aimed at showing young adults that they can create an exciting healthy future that inspires them!

Young adults are a part of every ones life, whether we have them, or not. Their behavior impacts all of us. They are our future! If they have access to creating a healthy lifestyle, that appeals to them, the future of our community will be a better place.

The youth center is located behind KFC in Orewa, an easy location to find. The center comprises of a building which will be set up with 20 stalls and a large screen with sound. There will also be a large marquee that will be set up with 15 stalls, tables and chairs and a stage with a sound system. There will be a large open sided truck with live bands playing, a café with hot drinks and light foods, a sausage sizzle, food vans selling hot food and radio coverage by “The Edge” who will be there in there Dodge Rams (huge trucks).

There is a skate park and rock climbing and abseiling walls outside, with additional rock climbing walls inside where demonstrations and competitions will be held and judged by experts and celebrities. The center is located next to the estuary, where weather permitting there will also be activities happening.

I was approached by my friend who is involved in the organisation of the event as she knows of my involvement in the automotive scene through friends, here, NZICE forums more recently, Chosen Few (no I'm not a member just friends with some) and various other forums. What she is hoping is that I can organise 10 or 12 vehicles that are of a certain standard to attend the event as we all know that cool rides attract teens, and then the idea is that they get to see what sort of comraderie there is in car clubs, what hard work will get you, and essentially all the usual show and shine-type attractions.

Now there are three catches.

1) It is on the 6th of Novemeber which means due to prior commitments I cannot attend and so I am hoping to find someone who sees the value in this and will take the ball and run with it so to speak. i.e. take over for me. I was going to try and suss it for the same day as the Sth Akl meet, but the date is unmovable, and it looks as tho that meet is happening later in the month.

2) You will have to take about 1-2 hours out of your schedule to attend.

3) "Exhibitors" are expected to pay for space by way of "donation". The idea is that since we would not be going as a business, we would not have to pay, although donations would be appreciated. This is yet to be finalised.

If someone here also sees the potential in such an event that I do and is able to take over the organising of this part of it, I would appreciate it and will put you in touch with the organisers who can then elaborate exactly what they need.

Also those of you able to attend with vehicles that are close to finished and look good if you could register your interest so I can guage whether it is likely to take off.

It is for a good cause and should be a fun day.

Oh, and my friend is 16 and good looking and I could probably organise the school uniform if that helps sway your mind lol..

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

common people get in on it :D

these teens need to know what you got in the car so they can tell there mates and then they dont need to break in unless you got cool stuff....

er.

OK BIG CHANGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was given some wrong info - f**king dumb-arsed wires getting crossed - see edits in first post for actual details.

THE EDGE will be there, and it is being advertised in local papers, radio and TV.

I will keep you all posted as I get new info, but this could be quite a chance to get some advertising for BS, BMWCC may want to be involved (BMWCC members please coment), and if NZICE get involved them too.

Mate my cars STOCK AS A ROCK.Dunno how much interest there would be in it for the kids :D

If you get some cars together Im happy to be involved

Great - if those interested want to PM me with a name and either email or ph no. I have started a list and have three vehicles so far on it. I will contact those who have expressed interest and keep them informed - it is 10 weeks away, but I imagine we'd need to have numbers in concrete by 2 weeks out, and if you commit, please try to actually turn up - it is a bit different to the odd casual meet as once you've said you will come, the expectation will be that unless something relatively important crops up, you do.

Guest Andrew

so there are no troubled teens after all (I just noticed your orginal post is completely different). A different cause?

What kind of standard of car are you looking for?

so there are no troubled teens after all (I just noticed your orginal post is completely different). A different cause?

no they have all suddenly seen the light and thier small hands wont do anything anymore...

What kind of standard of car are you looking for?

Yeah as I said - I was sent the wrong literature. The person whoasked me is involved inseveral events and I just got sent the info for the wrong one first time around.

Standard of car? Anything that would attract people cos it's cool. Yuors would be fine andrew, but obviously if all that were there were half rusted 318i's with McD's wrappers on the floor and a sub in the boot mounted in the cardboard box it came in, the effect is lost wouldn't you say.

Anything that is clean inside and out and looks good - standard is fine - different (i.e. track ready, or semi-show car, or tricked-out ice install) is better. For instance topless has volunteered the cabby - perfect. if my schedule changes and I can make it - even though the 320 is looking pretty good right now, I'd prob bring the Baur.

You get the idea - most of the vehicles that I have personally seen in the flesh on BS would do - Duncans old one (although not my taste) good cos it's diff and appeals to a certain audience, RJ's cos it's clean, sleek and pretty straight, Shelleys - damn straight little e30, Andrew, Damian, Ollie, Angus, cage, - all clean straight cars = good! Cain - nuff said. Plus dozens I haven't seen in the flesh, but have seen good pics on the site.

Thanks to those who have already volunteered. I am waiting on the organisers now to confirm the space, and how much space, and what the format will be. I will be keeping those who have expressed and interest informed, so PM me if that is you and you haven't yet.