Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

E39 4:3 onboard monitor buttons playing up

The menu rotary knob/button for my on board unit is stuffed. If i look at it funny the button will work sometimes. The scrolling part is fine however. Also, pretty much every other button except for the volume and power do not respond when pressing them. On the steering wheel all on board monitor related buttons dont work except for volume. This to me sounds like a pcb failure within the unit. Has anyone had this issue before? If so is it repairable, or time for a new unit?

Thanks!

I'd say - just upgrade it to a 16:9 - you won't regret it!

Is it just a simple plug and play? Im not fussed with the nav not working but am concerned about the aspect ratio remaining 4:3 on a 16:9 unit.

have good working 4;3 monitors if needed

Is it just a simple plug and play? Im not fussed with the nav not working but am concerned about the aspect ratio remaining 4:3 on a 16:9 unit.

Plug & play BUT you need to replace both the monitor & the video module with 16:9 units. 3rd generation video module is both 4:3 & 16:9 compatible. Nav works with either.

I changed them a few years ago - wouldn't go back

managed to get my 4;3 on board working again, and it was only to the tune of $60

The Rotary optical encoder (knob dial/button for scrolling menu options) was replaced. This was a generic part that i sourced from element14. Let me know if you want the part number. The internal spring mecahanism was stuffed, so scrolling worked, but you couldn't acknowledge anything with the push button.

As for all the rest of the buttons on the onboard monitor, i simply removed the front cover, removed the circuit board, and cleaned the buttons, and contact points on the circuit board with CRC MAF cleaner (it's all I had) I guess it was either luck, or they were really dirty, but they all started working again upon re-installation. Steering wheel controls work now too!