Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

E36 100-130kph M50 vs 1UZ

I decided to piece these two clips I had lying around on my HD. Not the most accurate measurement I realize but somewhat interesting nevertheless!

Works out to be ~33% faster with 33% more HP and 45% torque than the stock engine. Seems about right...

Interesting indeed. How long do you reckon she will be off the road for, to fit the new box?

How long do you reckon she will be off the road for, to fit the new box?

At this stage I've just taken the headers off to tidy up, skim the main flanges and have HP coated.

Also going to put down some new heat reflective material around where headers sit in the engine bay while they're out.

Good question! after a bit more consideration due to the cost and involvement of the manual conversion, I'm thinking of just leaving the 5spd auto in for now and give it a decent bit of use until it breaks of it's own accord (if it ever will) - I've probably been a little negative about it, it's actually quite good in manual mode, controlled off the cruise control stick (up / down), it just has some issues in auto mode because of a bad signal from the tps sensor at times which it relies on to accurately shift the gears at the correct throttle points. I might have to upgrade the unit or replace the wiring to sort it out.

I think the lack of an LSD is more frustrating than anything else, so around corners, and under acceleration it likes one wheel to be more lively than it should.

Edited by Michael.

At this stage I've just taken the headers off to tidy up, skim the main flanges and have HP coated.

Also going to put down some new heat reflective material around where headers sit in the engine bay while they're out.

Good question! after a bit more consideration due to the cost and involvement of the manual conversion, I'm thinking of just leaving the 5spd auto in for now and give it a decent bit of use until it breaks of it's own accord (if it ever will) - I've probably been a little negative about it, it's actually quite good in manual mode, controlled off the cruise control stick (up / down), it just has some issues in auto mode because of a bad signal from the tps sensor at times which it relies on to accurately shift the gears at the correct throttle points. I might have to upgrade the unit or replace the wiring to sort it out.

I think the lack of an LSD is more frustrating than anything else, so around corners, and under acceleration it likes one wheel to be more lively than it should.

I think im the same with mine. Manual would be nice, but when you add cost in, you realise there is nothing really wrong with having it auto when its just a street car

I agree with both of you. The manual box would be a luxury not a necessity. As much fun as it would be, for the price I'd hold off a while. Although I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you waiting for the auto to pack in haha.

E: That noise though :wub:

Edited by Darin.

Yeah, I mean for the same cost I could buy a tidy 328i for what a conversion would cost! :blink:

At least it does have 5 forward gears so the ratios are like any conventional 5 speed manual out there. Yeah it's prob unlikely for the auto to wear out any time soon, only things that could go are the 7 electronic solenoids - but I have a spare box to replace those if need be.

It's definitely putting out a nice sound, got to love it with the windows down especially!