Sign in to follow this  
richard

chopping up a e30

I'm chopping up my parts car . I want to keep some parts like the rear corners,sills. Where's the best place to start and what to look out for . What to use ( big angle grinder , plasma cutter, gas axe etc.....)I'll fill the gas tank with water.

I need to make more room in the garage so ill take what i can and scrap the rest.

Last car i chopped up was a skyline (crashed, not stolen :P ), used a big 9" Angle Grinder with a cutting disk. Just cut through wires and everything, didnt slow it down (carpet was removed though).

Cordless saber saw with a metal blade no sparks or other nasty things to worry about. Plus all the personnel safety gear one is supposed to wear.

Edited by allan

Cordless saber saw with a metal blade no sparks or other nasty things to worry about. Plus all the personnel safety gear one is supposed to wear.

Used to just risky it without safety gear, but a few years back chopping up and E30 i got a piece of metal in my eye that flicked up from the blade. straight to hospital and had to wear eyepatch for a few weeks. Cant stress that safety enough now.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

i dont want to cut it into small bit . I was thinking of cutting across the top of the pillars ,as close to the side window down the back seat . Not sure if i should keep the inner gaurd. Im keeping body parts just in case.

Used to just risky it without safety gear, but a few years back chopping up and E30 i got a piece of metal in my eye that flicked up from the blade. straight to hospital and had to wear eyepatch for a few weeks. Cant stress that safety enough now.

Consider yourself extremely fortunate mate, I've now got three mates that have been partially or fully blinded in one eye and another with a divot in his chest from exploding disks or flying swarf.

Buy a full face visor and use goggles underneath! Better yet, use a sabre saw. Slower and not as tidy but far safer :)

Consider yourself extremely fortunate mate, I've now got three mates that have been partially or fully blinded in one eye and another with a divot in his chest from exploding disks or flying swarf.

Buy a full face visor and use goggles underneath! Better yet, use a sabre saw. Slower and not as tidy but far safer :)

yep other than having to wear sunglasses when driving or anytime outside in summer now, no other issues. i was quite lucky. My prescription worsened last time i got my eyes checked too so had to get another set of glasses. not sure if related.

Back in the day (yes i'm old, aye Andy ;) )

We would get an old leaf spring, cut it about a third along from hanger hole, sharpen one edge so it was as sharp as a butchers knife. Then just hold the hanger bush end and whack the un-sharpened edge with a big arse hammer. Best cold chisel i've ever had, won't go blunt even going through rails, just think 'knife through butter'.

Also, after doing a whole car ya know you have arm muscles haha.

yep other than having to wear sunglasses when driving or anytime outside in summer now, no other issues. i was quite lucky. My prescription worsened last time i got my eyes checked too so had to get another set of glasses. not sure if related.

Nah, if you're anything like me it's just crappy eyesight :unsure: