Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

Shipping options

Looking at bringing a couple of things over from the US and A through private sellers. Has anyone here done this? What are the options for shipping? Am concerned about buyer protection as well. I'm guessing a private sale wouldn't attract import duties? Or have I got that one wrong?

Any experiences shared would be most welcome :)

First thing's first; what are you wanting to bring in?

Even if it's a private sale it can attract import duties, from memory the threshold is $250 but sometimes things over that slip through, for example I've been charged GST on a $300 purchase but not a $1500 international purchase.

Believe the limit is $400NZ before it gets hit with GST on both the item and the freight costs.

Have got my eye on a limited slip diff centre, illuminated shift knob and a couple other bits and pieces. Total cost would be around NZ$500 before shipping. All used parts through private sellers

Have got my eye on a limited slip diff centre, illuminated shift knob and a couple other bits and pieces. Total cost would be around NZ$500 before shipping. All used parts through private sellers

I've had a look at kiwishipping.co.nz, part of mainfreight. Seems like the minimum is $250 but you can add more stuff for small increases. Would suit a bulk or combined lot. Not sure how the NZ$400 normal limit would apply but its GST on the value over $400 i think.

I'm looking at some e39 parts soon.

^^^ This.

It 's not based on the $$$ value, it's based on the value of the duty/GST charges.

"Once the threshold of $60 of duty and/or GST payable is reached, then an import entry transaction fee (IETF) of NZ$38.07 (GST inclusive) is also payable. This includes the Ministry for Primary Industries biosecurity system entry levy of $12.77 (GST inclusive)"

I have found, if it comes in via post rather than courier etc, it's more likely to get missed. Most of the big international freight companies have their own customs brokers, so it's in their best interest to charge what they can :-)

15% of 400 is $60.00

If they were only charging GST, yes. Some stuff has duty too, and the % varies, depending on the goods.

Hmm. Shipping comes back at around the $250 mark less any duties I get stung with. Seems the thoretical limit for duty value is $250 but practically they leave it at $400 courtesy of de minimis.

Might as well wait and hope that someone has a 188mm limited slip centre that they will sell for a price that isn't criminal. I suspect I'm gonna get a lot older before that happens though.

Thanks guys

Shame I only just spotted this post.

I just shipped a large volume of parts from the states yesterday via kiwishipping.

Could have chucked your parts in no problem. They are defiantly the best people to use for larger heavy items. Weight is not an issue. All my stuff arrives on the 1st. So not a long wait. Saving about $1000NZD on shipping costs.

Shame I only just spotted this post.

I just shipped a large volume of parts from the states yesterday via kiwishipping.

Could have chucked your parts in no problem. They are defiantly the best people to use for larger heavy items. Weight is not an issue. All my stuff arrives on the 1st. So not a long wait. Saving about $1000NZD on shipping costs.

Bugger!!

Was looking at one for sale privately through Bimmerforums, only thing I'm dodged out about is apparent lack of buyer protection. I can't really afford to throw away $300 at the moment.

Hopefully something will turn up within my budget locally. Pigs might fly too, but one can always hope !

Thanks for the thought though :)