Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Help! Buffer needed

Since I'd had a few dents knocked out I decided to give the car a thorough clean. Doing so revealed a plethora of stone chips some of which had started to rust so I thought I'd deal to them. I've done this successfully previously but never on a black car and I've found hand cutting looks pretty average on the black so it's obvious where I've made all the touch ups. Anyone got any advice how to cut black paint adequately by hand or got a buffer they can loan?

Edited by jeffbebe

Since I'd had a few dents knocked out I decided to give the car a thorough clean. Doing so revealed a plethora of stone chips some of which had started to rust so I thought I'd deal to them. I've done this successfully previously but never on a black car and I've found hand cutting looks pretty average on the black so it's obvious where I've made all the touch ups. Anyone got any advice how to cut black paint adequately by hand or got a buffer they can loan?

Have you tried the black colour turttle wax?.. i use it on the X5 with a little buffer from super cheap, comes up super shiney, i really recomend it, just dont get it on the plastic bumper mouldings. our cars live out side too. i dont touch cutting compound ...to easy to ruin the paint if you dont know what your doing

I have a mothers rotory buffer from repco many years ago ... donno if it's any good - have never really used it myself. TXT me if you want to try it.

I have a mothers rotory buffer from repco many years ago ... donno if it's any good - have never really used it myself. TXT me if you want to try it.

Thanks Tom... Might give it a whirl as a pro job's gonna be a bit pricey. Since I've got no garage it'll be weather dependent. I'll text you when it stops raining!

There is a sticky round here somewhere on the correct use of a rotary buffer.

There is a bit of an art to it. In the wrong hands with the wrong product and techique they can F%%k your paint real fast :mellow: .

A random orbital polisher seems to be the preferred tool.

mask off your black trim, do plenty of youtube research first and start with a light compound would be my 2c.

Good if you have a spare panel or a friends car to practice on..........

There is a sticky round here somewhere on the correct use of a rotary buffer.

There is a bit of an art to it. In the wrong hands with the wrong product and techique they can F%%k your paint real fast :mellow: .

A random orbital polisher seems to be the preferred tool.

mask off your black trim, do plenty of youtube research first and start with a light compound would be my 2c.

Good if you have a spare panel or a friends car to practice on..........

I hear you. I think I know (roughly) what I'm doing but am certainly going to use a light touch if I do try it out myself... Failing that I'll save up a few $$$s and get someone to do it properly. TBH I think the touch ups are harder - got to make sure you don't pile up too much paint and then when wet sanding it's pretty difficult to not sand around the area too much, especially if there is a bit too much paint! Still - it's a work in progress. Luckily BMW paint is pretty thick so there's a fair bit of paint to work with!! Edited by jeffbebe

How much cutting do you need to do? If it's just light work go to town with a foam pad in a buffer with some Meguires swirl remover 2.0. It's pretty light, fine polish you'll have to work pretty hard to cut through.

Not much good on wet sand marks though.

How much cutting do you need to do? If it's just light work go to town with a foam pad in a buffer with some Meguires swirl remover 2.0. It's pretty light, fine polish you'll have to work pretty hard to cut through.

Not much good on wet sand marks though.

Cheers Tony. If it's dry this weekend I'm going to re-appraise and decide whether to take it on myself or spend a couple of hundred to get it done properly.