Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

parking sensors

hey team,

I believe I might have an errant parking sensor.

Not all the time, but occasionally a rear one will just beep it's head off, when there isn't anything there.

I note it's better when the car is clean, and it's not all the time. Just now and then.

But it's enough to get annoying and have to turn it off.

where do I start with this one?

not sure but doeasnt the m5 have a screen display that shows where you are close to something? or is that just later models.

possibly unplug each sensor in turn if you can get to them ok,

does your car have number plate surrounds?I got told that they can sometimes cause trouble so as i was having intermittent false alarms with my front pdc i took of the front number plate surround...no issues since

BMW Scanner 1.4.0, NavCoder or INPA will help diagnose which it is - they show the distance each sensor is recording and of course, which one is registerinng with nothing there.

You can give the sensors a really good spray with WD-40 and see if they are any better too.

Sensors are cheap on EBAY, but also a LOT cheaper if you buy them from a landrover agent, instead of BMW agent in the UK :-) You just have to get the same type. They are used in a whle bunch of brands of car.

No plate surrounds and peake reader has no fault codes currently but it might not have played up since I reset.

Ill try the wd40 and see how we go

Cheers team

have new and used sensors if needed just need to check part numbers , vin number etc

thanks brent

There you go, find the fault and get some from Brent.

A Faulty sensor won't always bring up a code. it may just "read" the area behind the car wrong.

yea it wont bring up a code but if you have a proper code reader than can view live data then you can see what outputs each sensor is giving, you will probably find one has vastly different reading from the rest, will have to go to a proper bmw tech for that as those readers dont come cheap

or just buy one used one from brent and change them in turn until it stops.... assuming only one is faulty

will have to go to a proper bmw tech for that as those readers dont come cheap

People keep saying that.

NZ$40 for BMW Scanner 1.4.0

I got this one

and INPA etc is pretty easy to get for about NZ$50.

If you car is pre-OBDII, you'll need an adpater cable too though, about NZ$10

People keep saying that.

NZ$40 for BMW Scanner 1.4.0

I got this one

and INPA etc is pretty easy to get for about NZ$50.

If you car is pre-OBDII, you'll need an adpater cable too though, about NZ$10

looks good, my one is pretty good its a Carsoft, can do some options stuff and can do live output, but only good for cars up to MY2005 from memory.