Sign in to follow this  
tobytoblerone

iPhone 5 unlocking...

I don't expect a reply to this query but I purchased a new iPhone 5 overseas only to find out it's unlock-able due to the network it's locked too :(

Does anyone have any experience with getting around this? like jailbreaking etc..

Anyways almost ready to give up & may just sell it. It works fine & it's a month old still under Apple warranty. It's a 64GB white iPhone 5. Could be a good camera & ipod, it's bascially an iPod touch with better features minus the cellphone!

Hey man, there's a cellphone shop in town next to smith and caugheys, you can buy a sticker to put on your sim then hopefully you can use this phone. It doesn't work 100% but it's cheap and worth a try.

Let me know how u get on. There are some other ways to get around can't remember right now but I'll think about it. Lol

Hey man, there's a cellphone shop in town next to smith and caugheys, you can buy a sticker to put on your sim then hopefully you can use this phone. It doesn't work 100% but it's cheap and worth a try.

Let me know how u get on. There are some other ways to get around can't remember right now but I'll think about it. Lol

ohh, I have heard of this special sim card that may work called R-Sim 7+... but before I buy that from ebay I was hoping there was something local. And that sounds good, is that smith & caugheys on queen st? I know that little shop.... do you know what the sticker does?

What network is it locked to? Maybe contact them overseas for an unlock code? If it wasn't purchased on a contract, they may be OK unlocking it...

What network is it locked to? Maybe contact them overseas for an unlock code? If it wasn't purchased on a contract, they may be OK unlocking it...

I've called the network, Softbank in Japan. It's against their policy to unlock their phones in or out of contract. The phone is only a month old and is under contract. Softbank are notoriously known to never unlock phones, one of the few networks in the world that refuse to do so, period and they have been taken to court on a few occasions about this. BUT there are very few people that know people who work on the inside that are willing to unlock a phone locked to softbank but for a very hefty price $300+ There is currently no one that has access to the IMEI softbank database for iPhone 5 64GB so I think i'll have to sell it :(

Anyone interested in buying a month old iPhone 5 that cannot actually be used as a phone? lol The phone retails for $1,349 currently and I'm willing to let it go for $500+ It's warranty is still valid provided you don't jailbreak it etc and only use it on the softbank network or have it unlocked legally.

maybe best to just sell it and get a new one, or a nz new secondhand one, they are only going for about 6-700 now for near new condition ones.

put it on trademe $1 reserve im sure it will reach 4-500 easily

maybe best to just sell it and get a new one, or a nz new secondhand one, they are only going for about 6-700 now for near new condition ones.

put it on trademe $1 reserve im sure it will reach 4-500 easily

hmm could only find 16GB ones for as low as $800 buy now. 64GB still $900+

I'm just going to buy a new one, last time I buy a new locked iphone 5 from overseas!

grandmastersaxay@gmail.com does it for $18, really quick turn around. Did dads iphone a month ago

Edit: he's local and legit

Edited by HaNs

I've called the network, Softbank in Japan. It's against their policy to unlock their phones in or out of contract. The phone is only a month old and is under contract. Softbank are notoriously known to never unlock phones, one of the few networks in the world that refuse to do so, period and they have been taken to court on a few occasions about this. BUT there are very few people that know people who work on the inside that are willing to unlock a phone locked to softbank but for a very hefty price $300+ There is currently no one that has access to the IMEI softbank database for iPhone 5 64GB so I think i'll have to sell it :(

Anyone interested in buying a month old iPhone 5 that cannot actually be used as a phone? lol The phone retails for $1,349 currently and I'm willing to let it go for $500+ It's warranty is still valid provided you don't jailbreak it etc and only use it on the softbank network or have it unlocked legally.

So it's still under contract? I'm not at all surprised they won't unlock it...

So it's still under contract? I'm not at all surprised they won't unlock it...

It's with softbank Japan, it's against their policy to unlock their devices period. In our out of contract it makes no difference.

I did some research and there are a lot of angry customers from softbank as the network basically owns the phone as it has the IMEI locked to work on their network only. There are customers that went as far as taking it to court & won against softbank but they still have not changed their policy.

It's only a matter of time until they do change their policy because it's absolutely ridiculous to have a phone locked to one network only, it's incredibly unfair!

Only the network that a cellphone is locked to has access to the database to remove the lock from the IMEI. Almost all networks unlock a device locked to their network when requested to do so but Softbank refuses to do so.

Edited by tobytoblerone

It's with softbank Japan, it's against their policy to unlock their devices period. In our out of contract it makes no difference.

I did some research and there are a lot of angry customers from softbank as the network basically owns the phone as it has the IMEI locked to work on their network only. There are customers that went as far as taking it to court & won against softbank but they still have not changed their policy.

It's only a matter of time until they do change their policy because it's absolutely ridiculous to have a phone locked to one network only, it's incredibly unfair!

Only the network that a cellphone is locked to has access to the database to remove the lock from the IMEI. Almost all networks unlock a device locked to their network when requested to do so but Softbank refuses to do so.

Yeah, you said that in the first post. I'm not surprised they won't unlock it if they have invested money in the phone (subsidised it for a long term contract) and it gets sold to you in another country. They lose out on all fronts.

Think of it like you loaning $1k to someone who then gets on the first flight to Brazil, then calls up & asks for your credit card number to rent a car. I don't blame them one bit. If the contract was complete, then I would agree with you but it isn't.

Yeah, you said that in the first post. I'm not surprised they won't unlock it if they have invested money in the phone (subsidised it for a long term contract) and it gets sold to you in another country. They lose out on all fronts.

Think of it like you loaning $1k to someone who then gets on the first flight to Brazil, then calls up & asks for your credit card number to rent a car. I don't blame them one bit. If the contract was complete, then I would agree with you but it isn't.

Of course I didn't know the phone was still under contract & literally a month old. It was an impulse buy on eBay, I had got it for quite cheap too $500 NZD.

BUT went to a phone shop today & it has a software unlock allowing me to use a NZ sim card :)

Guest nano123

I don't expect a reply to this query but I purchased a new iPhone 5 overseas only to find out it's unlock-able due to the network it's locked too :(

Does anyone have any experience with getting around this? like jailbreaking etc..

Anyways almost ready to give up & may just sell it. It works fine & it's a month old still under Apple warranty. It's a 64GB white iPhone 5. Could be a good camera & ipod, it's bascially an iPod touch with better features minus the cellphone!

You need not worry about unlocking your Iphone5 as there are 2 ways to unlock your phone...

1.Contacting the service provider

2.Using online service

Online services are recommended as you can unlock your phone from anywhere in the world...

As to my experience i have unlocked my phone with the help of Simpleunlocking.com where you need to provide your network that your phone is locked too and then they unlock your phone using remote unlocking service...They provide you with free unlocking instructions...