Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

5hp24 transmission oil

Did a forum search but couldn't find anything so apologies in advance if this has been covered already.

So the OE stuff is about $350 for the 9-10L I'll need... Will pay it if it is the best but any recommendations for a good aftermarket alternative. Google hasn't been much help - most of the recommendations don't seem to be for sale in NZ.

Found this chart... Might be worth a sticky, if it's not already on here somewhere. post-4601-0-83848400-1379923151_thumb.jp

Cheers in advance

Edited by jeffbebe

When i got the 740i done the shop used Total lubricants, i think it was G3 but not 100% as it was years ago.

It was a bit over $200 for the fluid and was around 8L they used iirc

Pretty much everything I can find just mentions the lifetime fill.

Penrite usually do OE replacements for BMW but even they say "Filled for life" so looks mostly like only BMW do the proper stuff.

Pretty much everything I can find just mentions the lifetime fill.

Penrite usually do OE replacements for BMW but even they say "Filled for life" so looks mostly like only BMW do the proper stuff.

'Lifetime' in BMW speak is about 3-5 years! That's how long rich folk will own it before flicking it on and buying a new one!!

Did a forum search but couldn't find anything so apologies in advance if this has been covered already.

So the OE stuff is about $350 for the 9-10L I'll need... Will pay it if it is the best but any recommendations for a good aftermarket alternative. Google hasn't been much help - most of the recommendations don't seem to be for sale in NZ.

Found this chart... Might be worth a sticky, if it's not already on here somewhere. post-4601-0-83848400-1379923151_thumb.jp

Cheers in advance

Interested to hear the outcome of this, my 540 has an earlier 5hp30 and from what i can google a semi synthetic is required, "not dextron" as opposed to your later model where a full synthetic is the go? checked my fluid level tonight and its fine, the oil that spilled out tho' is old and brown looking. Repco have an oil computer in store that shows a suggested fluid for each model. Unfortunately for my e34 it said "refer to dealer"

Interested to hear the outcome of this, my 540 has an earlier 5hp30 and from what i can google a semi synthetic is required, "not dextron" as opposed to your later model where a full synthetic is the go? checked my fluid level tonight and its fine, the oil that spilled out tho' is old and brown looking. Repco have an oil computer in store that shows a suggested fluid for each model. Unfortunately for my e34 it said "refer to dealer"

I think a mate of mine just did a trans flush for an E34 540. If he did, will find out what he put in.

Castrol Transmax Z

is what was put into my ZF 5hp18.