Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Any recommended radar detectors?

Hi everyone

I'm currently in the US and radars are much cheaper than at home so am looking to buy one here.

Does anybody have any recommendations? (I'm not after a V1)

I'd like to get it hard wired and one with the option (additional price dependent) of jammers too would be good.

The Bel StiR is on my radar.. Ha! - anyone got any experience?

Thanks in advance

I have a V1

my mate has the sti

they are both pretty much as good as each other.

I have the arrows to indicate where the smokey is. His is a stealth install unit.

both positives.

I wouldn't consider anything else. Nothing is close in pure performance.

I have a v1 1.85. Seems to be doing the job pretty bloody well.

Depends on your budget, I've had a Beltronics system hardwired (sensors in front & rear bumpers) and found that brilliant. I think they're about 2-2.5k installed from memory. Otherwise I have a Beltronics Vector, which is about 5 years old now and around 1100 new, this still serves me well.

I have a Whistler hardwired in, it works bloody well. Minimal false alerts. Best radar I've owned, especially considering it is sub-$1k!

Went through 3 detectors, I'd say for Auckland traffic + touring NZ, V1 is the best. Some tests will show others being statistically better, but I find V1's arrow invaluable and suitable for our cops/roads. We really don't have that many things that can set off false alarms.

I have had a V1's for a number of years and find the arrows very useful , never had issues with them and imo worth every penny!

V1 here. Why are you ruleing V1 out?

Be aware when buying in the USA to get one that the user can program (like the V1) so that when you get home you can activate and deactivate the settings that apply to here. Not all of them you can.

I installed a Passport 9500ci which came with jammers and was stealth.

Positives ... GPS positioning so it blocks false signals after the 3rd time. Installs in the front grill. Performance was 10/10. Difficult to steal as it was buried into the car.

Negatives ... too hard to remove so sold it with the car. Can't see what direction the cop is coming from

Sold the car so went back to the V1

Positives ... it is the best in the market for windscreen mounted ones. Cost is only $399 in the US and I see you can now bluetooth connect it to your android or iPhone ...

Negative ... easily stolen

Thanks for the replies everybody. We've got a V1 at home and compared with the Bel systems in our other cars it has not been as effective (in my experience). I also want a stealth install as I don't want anybody to have a reason to break into the car, e.g. Seeing suction cup marks on a windscreen even if its in the glovebox.

Thanks Neal for the radar-mirror link, seen it before and looks good! May be an option...

...Seeing suction cup marks on a windscreen even if its in the glovebox...

Put the bracket behind the top sun-shade in a way that the radar receptor sits below the shade, and the bracket sits in the tint strip.

When you remove the radar, it's difficult to see the bracket behind the tint strip; but when mounted the radar is not blocked by the tint.

+1

Yup. use the visor mount and hardwire it. Really hard to see from the outside with tinted windows.

I have the best radar detector in the world bar none, it's my brain which is hard wired to my right foot. And ya know what............it was free and came with my birthday suit.

I have the best radar detector in the world bar none, it's my brain which is hard wired to my right foot. And ya know what............it was free and came with my birthday suit.

Im sure its intended as a joke, but its actually right. I know people that are quick to bag thier detectors for tickets they get even using one. None of them are 100%, and there are always situations it wont pick up any signal. Populated area? Long Weekend? Dont even bother to rely on it. Its just a tool

Ahahahahaha!

Blocking the X band.

I also block the K band as there's too many false positives.

Demerits only come on Ka band & laser in NZ.

Hi everyone

I'm currently in the US and radars are much cheaper than at home so am looking to buy one here.

Does anybody have any recommendations? (I'm not after a V1)

I'd like to get it hard wired and one with the option (additional price dependent) of jammers too would be good.

The Bel StiR is on my radar.. Ha! - anyone got any experience?

Thanks in advance

Hi

Just remember jammers are now illegal in NZ, so don't disclose to customs :-)

Hi

Just remember jammers are now illegal in NZ, so don't disclose to customs :-)

the law has been ever since i can remember that they are legal to possess but not to use. have they closed that loophole now?

Dads given me his bel RX75 that came out of his 996 that's been lying around. When hyper uninstalled it they left the laser shifters in the 996 and paired them with his new system AFAIK.

So I've just got the detector, which is being installed next Tues.

does it still pick up signal if mounted behind a panel? (Ie rear detector inside diffuser)

If you want advice talk to Ryan at Autotech Installs Ltd.

He has done countless hardwired radar / jammer installs for our Audi customers. He knows what he's doing, highly recommend him.

http://www.autotechinstalls.co.nz/

Edited by Cab

Thanks Rowan

I've rebooked with him. And mobile too! Even better!

Ryan @ Autotechinstalls came and installed my detector today. Very professional, affordable, and helpful!

I'd highly recommend him to all.