Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Interesting hybrid

I've been in the States recently and a business partner of mine has recently sat himself in a hybrid car I hadn't heard of before. It's not your typical Prius!

It's the Fisker Karma

http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/KARMA.shtml

I didn't get a drive unfortunately but it was stunning in the metal. It sports quite a price tag at $100K+ USD, so I'm sure to get one here (if it would even work on NZ power?) would be a small fortune.

Regardless, with all the other gas guzzlers in his garage it's cool that he's using a hybrid as a daily!

They are a sexy looking car for sure, the company is not doing so well though, even with all the grants and money they have received from investors they are bordering on bankruptcy and it is likely they will either die out or be purchased by the Chinese. I see Bob Lutz is planning on buying the rolling shells and fitting a Chevy V8 and conventional drive train to them, now that would be cool, think 4-door Corvette.

Something else you may be interested in is the Tesla Model S, have been admiring these for a while and would love one, they have got it right and are selling well in LA.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

I was in the US last week and saw one of the new Telsas model S' on the road - what a car! It was in silver and looked very nice.

This was up in the north of California between Sacramento and San Fran.

Yup I had a look at the Tesla showroom in Newport Beach the other day, very nice! Saw at least a dozen of them while I was in the states too...

They may be doing it right but ... I think this past financial year was their breakeven and they've been in business for 10+ years if memory serves me right (which it may not!)

IIRC the founder/owner of Tesla founded Paypal.

fisker was doing badly then had an entire shipment of uninsured karmas flooded during hurricane sandy.

this caused a couple to burst into flames and torch quite a few others.

almost crippled the company but they have had a few donations from people who want to see electric cars thrive.

toastedfisker.jpg

fisker was doing badly then had an entire shipment of uninsured karmas flooded during hurricane sandy.

this caused a couple to burst into flames and torch quite a few others.

almost crippled the company but they have had a few donations from people who want to see electric cars thrive.

toastedfisker.jpg

Damn I read about that, didn't see any pictures though... what carnage!

Saw one of these parked up in San Francisco a few weeks back. At first glance the roof looked like it was made from Carbon fibre but was actually a solar panel.

Rode in a Tesla while I was over there. Wicked car and it seemed to be well built.

Anyone know if they produce a RHD model of either of these?

Oh my roommate has one of these, pretty awesome cars condsidering its a hybrid. Although I see Beiber driving around in his one all the time which ruins the coolness of them...

Saw one of these parked up in San Francisco a few weeks back. At first glance the roof looked like it was made from Carbon fibre but was actually a solar panel.

Rode in a Tesla while I was over there. Wicked car and it seemed to be well built.

Anyone know if they produce a RHD model of either of these?

Looks like they might just starting the model s in rhd shortly - the tesla Australia site is taking orders.

Oh my roommate has one of these, pretty awesome cars condsidering its a hybrid. Although I see Beiber driving around in his one all the time which ruins the coolness of them...

Yeah, it's all about public image. The guy I know who drives one has every car he could ever want yet drives a hybrid to work.

I think Steven Tindall (The Warehouse founder) drives a Prius too.