Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

another insurance thread

Taken the car off the road for a while, one less thing to worry about while moving houses etc. It got broken into in my temporary house so i cant have it here on the front lawn, so its in a relatives garage, and i wont be using it probably till summer time. even when i find a house, i want to do some work on it.

With that said, i dont want it totally uninsured. Might be a fire in the house, or another big earthquake.... you just never know.

Has anyone used or know anyone with an insurance product like this at all?

Or maybe another way to look at it is what do those of you with race cars use, which arent used on the road, they must be still insured against other things?

With my age, driving history, and engine size etc, it will be a big saving getting it off full insurance over this time.

Cheers guys!

Just change it to 3rd party fire and theft, should only cost a couple of hundred for the year... might not be worth it if its only a few months.

Alternatively, ask the relative if the garage is insured for contents.

thanks Graham, so that covers natural stuff then? I got a quote for this car for Third party a year or so back, wasnt too much you are right.

I cant easily find out on the current contents insurance, garage is attached to an apartment type complex so insurances aren't handled by individual owners, its a group buy type thing. Usually yep this exactly what i would do!

When I had a project car, I had insurance through AMI that covered it for fire theft etc, but not for being on the road.

Was cheap as chips.

My race car is just third party, fire/ theft. They wont cover it on the track though - funny that...

NAC also do a restoration/garage type cover.... normally they charge half-price premiums for it. Or that's what they were gonna do for me.

thanks Graham, so that covers natural stuff then? I got a quote for this car for Third party a year or so back, wasnt too much you are right.

I cant easily find out on the current contents insurance, garage is attached to an apartment type complex so insurances aren't handled by individual owners, its a group buy type thing. Usually yep this exactly what i would do!

You won't be able to cover it under contents insurance as it's a motor vehicle, so will need motor vehicle specific insurance. In any case you will have to take out your own policy because you own it ie. it won't be covered under your relatives insurance.

3rd party fire & theft would be the way to go but you need to check with the specific insurance company if you are covered while it in the garage where you don't reside.

Cheers,

Laurence