Sign in to follow this  
MondoM3

SMG issues... ECU or PUMP replacement?

Cant really say as we aren't working with it but at this point from the description you supplied I would be testing board tracks and each electrical component (resistor / diode / voltage regulators etc) for function with a multimeter and oscilloscope.

Very valid thinking! Remember, Im am already well past the point where the BMW repair manual says "replace pump". Perhaps they are right, it could very well be facked. Those sorts of diagnostics are not part of their plan though and I'm in a bit of an awkward situation here. Although they seem to genuinely want to help me, they're just not setup for unique problem solving really. I'm at the point where I need to replace the pump or go elsewhere for further investigation.

Jeff Gray seem convinced the pump is fried.

Gee Simon how's the hair holding out? For a so called simple system it appears to be giving you a real work over. Will be nice to finally find the gremlin that has been giving you all this trouble. Do you feel this is a straight out hydraulic fault or is it to do with the electronics that BMW throw in the mix coursing it. Keep at it Simon and nail the sucker to the wall or visions of 0.008 of a second gear shift :D:lol: or is that to many zero's

Lol. Well I definitely have less hair than 8 months ago! for 26, its getting a bit thin up there!

I cant help but feel that this is an electrical fault. Might be wrong but that's my gut feeling. Purely because of the original symptoms of temperature related behaviour and the fact that the pump would work whenever the ISIS computer told it to. And now it suddenly has no response at all...

Right at this moment I really don't know what to do. But I need to make some sort of decision soon before I have a stroke.

Edit: This afternoon I had actually decided to go ahead and replace the pump. But now im back on the fence... what would you guys do in my situation?

Edited by MondoM3

oh i feel for you simon

how is JG treating this situation? did you talk to them about what if the pump doesnt fix this problem?

i myself is a JG customer but i do have other cars and can tell you they are the most expensive dealer out of all the euro brands in chch (price per hour for repairs)

Would you allow me to make a suggestion.

1.Put the jug on and make your self a drink you choose and have a biscuit with it, take time away from the problem sometimes it is like being in a forest and we can't see the trees.

2. Get all the facts you know regarding the problem and write them down.

3. Start at the beginning and work through the whole setup

4. Go through each of these checking with what should be happening and what yours is doing.

5. List the ones that you can't come up with an answer to research these as far as you can, sure Tom and others would be a good source to seek help from as they have already shown

6. Refer to 1 and take time out

Take from this what you want this method has helped me get out of a few sticky, expensive spots in the past still may cost but it might be a simple miss align pin. Cheers and best of luck

Would you allow me to make a suggestion.

1.Put the jug on and make your self a drink you choose and have a biscuit with it, take time away from the problem sometimes it is like being in a forest and we can't see the trees.

2. Get all the facts you know regarding the problem and write them down.

3. Start at the beginning and work through the whole setup

4. Go through each of these checking with what should be happening and what yours is doing.

5. List the ones that you can't come up with an answer to research these as far as you can, sure Tom and others would be a good source to seek help from as they have already shown

6. Refer to 1 and take time out

Take from this what you want this method has helped me get out of a few sticky, expensive spots in the past still may cost but it might be a simple miss align pin. Cheers and best of luck

Thanks Tim, you're absolutely right and I did need to take a step back. I've since walked my way through the whole situation and decided to replace the pump with a used unit from an '04 M3 with around 75,000 k's (big thanks to Ray at Hell BM). Ive accepted the risks Im taking with an old pump but I think its worth doing as I'm saving massively on the price of a new unit. I'm going to have a close look at the old pump once removed and try and figure out what has fried it.

Will update with any progress.

Edited by MondoM3

oh i feel for you simon

how is JG treating this situation? did you talk to them about what if the pump doesnt fix this problem?

i myself is a JG customer but i do have other cars and can tell you they are the most expensive dealer out of all the euro brands in chch (price per hour for repairs)

I have mixed feelings about JG. Overall I'm just disappointed with the lack of confident diagnostics. Its all been a bit wishy-washy at times.

There are people there that are good to deal with, however there are one or two that I will do anything to avoid.

Hi Simon that is great to hear only wish to help and support even from a distance. Will you attempt the pump switch your self or give it to JG? even in light of your comments. Will be interesting to know the out come when you get the old unit out and stripped down. Could the root course of this have been the contaminated electrics, water logged connector then leading on to the faults that have occurred since?.

Hi everyone.

Time for an update... I've picked the car up from Jeff Gray and so far so good!

Running sweet and havnt been able to wipe the grin off my face since.

Thanks for everyone's advice over this. I've now got the old pump in my possession. They said that they bench tested the pump after removing it and it ran briefly before stopping all together..

For now i'll let it sit while I enjoy the car, but at some stage I'd like to have a look at it and see if theres any hints on what the failure was.

Had completely forgotten how awesome this car is!

Cheers,

Simon

Great to hear - now enjoy....

Great news.

Hi Simon

Neat to see the awesome help you've had via being here - interesting thread at lots of levels really! If I were you, Id be taking it for a loooooooooong drive today seeing as its been away for so long!! Fingers crossed that all stays well with it for ya! :)

I've read the thread a couple of times, & in amongst it all, one of the rhetoric 'dumb questions' I get left asking myself on it - 'How can it take them over 200 days to find that plug full of water....??!!' <_<

Some great info in this thread. I got the P1717 code and cleared it and it hadn't been back yet. No loss of gears or anything like that. We will keep observing. Car does jerk under 4krpm and I think it might be the clutch slave cylinder. I'll update once I solve the problem.

Hello. I have a problem with my smg gearbox. When I downshifting have a big delay, especialy 2-nd gear, and when I driving drop out of gear.

Until now I make this :

1. Change salmon relay

2. Open and cleam gear selector senzor

3. Re-adaptation of gear selection

4. Check ident spring, pos 15 check from drowing. Pos no 9 I don't find.

I have 2 erors : B1 SMG: Safety concept, level 2, clutch(obd 2: P1708)

B2 SMG: Safety concept, level 3 (obd 2: P1709)