Sign in to follow this  
raewyn22

E30 sub mounting

Hey all,

Any advice on the best way of mounting a sub and amp in the trusty e30?

My sub is a slimline one, and it keeps falling over. Sound around in Henderson said they can install it professionally for $60, but would see if I can do a ok enough job myself first before spending the money.

All help appreciated :P

$60 sounds pretty good to me, will they be putting it behind the back seat? forwards facing or backwards? or maybe could go in spare wheel well?

$60 sounds pretty good to me, will they be putting it behind the back seat? forwards facing or backwards? or maybe could go in spare wheel well?

Unsure, was a quick chat on the phone, just told him I had everything, but couldn't be bothered doing the work myself really.

Prefer to keep my spare wheel in the well with my luck :ph34r:

How has every one mounted theirs? What brackets etc are used?

Unsure, was a quick chat on the phone, just told him I had everything, but couldn't be bothered doing the work myself really.

Prefer to keep my spare wheel in the well with my luck :ph34r:

How has every one mounted theirs? What brackets etc are used?

I used two Repco boxes in my E30, now they are in my E34. Have two 12" subs, yes well i brought them when i was 16 lol. but those boxes were like $100 each from memory??

I used two Repco boxes in my E30, now they are in my E34. Have two 12" subs, yes well i brought them when i was 16 lol. but those boxes were like $100 each from memory??

Hah, nice. I just have a small 12" slim sub in mine, I got sick of having no boot room.

Trouble is, it doesn't stand up right by itself. So needs to screw into somewhere.

Also, my amp is screwed directly onto my sub, which I have heard completely buggers them, but again same issue, don't know where to mount it all.

I think in this case the $60 may be worth it so I don't have the hassle.

On the E30 there is two holes in the rear panel that go between the boot and rear cabin that are either side of the where the arm rest is. I'd be inclined to put some bolts through those holes to a couple of brackets and screw the brackets into the rear of the sub.

I ran a IB ski pass sub on my E30 using bolts to anchor. Made for a very solid mounting.

The amp can be mounted on the sub box. As to life of amp it shouldn't be a problem unless its getting severe vibration from enclosure which in turn mechanically shakes the c**p out of the amp.

Pick of rear panel here

On the E30 there is two holes in the rear panel that go between the boot and rear cabin that are either side of the where the arm rest is. I'd be inclined to put some bolts through those holes to a couple of brackets and screw the brackets into the rear of the sub.

I ran a IB ski pass sub on my E30 using bolts to anchor. Made for a very solid mounting.

The amp can be mounted on the sub box. As to life of amp it shouldn't be a problem unless its getting severe vibration from enclosure which in turn mechanically shakes the c**p out of the amp.

Pick of rear panel here

Thanks for that, I will have a look this weekend and see how I get on. Your picture doesn't seem to be working however?

If it saves me $60 then I am happy

Hello. I put an amp and sub in the boot of my e30 coupe last year. Like Neal says there are holes in the panel that separates the boot from the cabin. Remove your rear seat to have a look - seat bench simply lifts out revealing a bracket on each side that holds the seat back. On the boot side I had a cardboard 'trim' panel covering the metal held on by 4 push clips.

I bought a piece of mdf and shaped it to replace the cardboard (no ski pass in my pfl). Then mounted the amp to the mdf and bolted it all to the metal panel. I have a mid sized flat bottom sub box (single 10") that just needed to be stopped from moving around so attached a bracket between the box and the mdf.

Once you've had a look you can probably figure out a way to do what you want while having a wander around mitre 10 B)