Sign in to follow this  
///MPROVD

Polyurethane or Factory bushes ?

hey guys just after some opinions on the types off bushes im looking at replacing my trailing arms with polyurethane bushes , But ive heard the they can be more likely to wear out than standard bushes.

so my question is whats best ? i understand the the propose of polyurethane is that is makes the joints more rigid and improve handling but for a street car are the worth putting in

cheers,

IMO as to wear, probably material dependent (i.e not all polyurethane bushes are made from same composition of materials), but polyurethane bushes in general are seen to be "forever lasting "

TBH, go with fresh OEM bushes to retain factory ride quality and handling characteristics. Replacing any old worn item with new will make the biggest difference, as opposed to material.

Which car is it for? e30 or e36?

IMO as to wear, probably material dependent (i.e not all polyurethane bushes are made from same composition of materials), but polyurethane bushes in general are seen to be "forever lasting "

TBH, go with fresh OEM bushes to retain factory ride quality and handling characteristics. Replacing any old worn item with new will make the biggest difference, as opposed to material.

Which car is it for? e30 or e36?

e36 i dont mind the ride difference as the car is very stiff and hard as it is i have powerflex bushes on the lower control arm at the front and am currently having alignment issues in the back so i want to replace the bushes Edited by ibboostn

Timely topic... Can anyone recommend a grease suitable for polyurethane bushes?

silicon based i believe

e36 i dont mind the ride difference as the car is very stiff and hard as it is i have powerflex bushes on the lower control arm at the front and am currently having alignment issues in the back so i want to replace the bushes

what sort of issue? i also had a weird alignment figure at the back (e30), which was caused by a previous accident, and it was still there after a full re-bush. maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in with more info to your original post

Timely topic... Can anyone recommend a grease suitable for polyurethane bushes?

the same type as the one in there (manufacture recommended one)? I used lithium based because that's what was supplied to me when i fitted mine.

I'm going through the same thing with the m3. From what I've read using the poly bushes for the rtab causes more stress onto the mounts which can cause cracking etc so better to just run the factory bushes and limiters.

i seem to have trouble with excessive camber wear the car is lowered on bilstien springs but not much lower than factory i had a new nankang tire that last just over 3 weeks and down to wires alignment people said that there is only so much adjustment that can be made so i want to replace bushes to rule out the possibility of play. and im also considering adjustable camber arms to allow greater adjustment in hope to correct camber

i've had a full compliment of powerflex bushes in my M5 for probably a year now.

Super happy with the ride. Might be alittle stiff for some, but I like that.

(ive dropped the front 30mm on H&R springs & the rear is standard)

turn in and steering feel has improved. The little shimmy i was feeling under medium braking is gone. High speed cornering stability feel is improved.

the only thing I would say is that being a 5 series the car rides alot softer than any shorter wheelbase car.

My tyre wear is excellent. It's ridiculous how many km's iv'e got out of this set of boots.

I'd recommend and would do again.

Hi.

I second the Powerflex bushes!! Installed them on my sway bars front and rear on my e34. Improved feel from front end.

And slight shimmy gone!

Also after searching only brand that fitted like factory ones. After purchasing a set that were nothing like the originals.

Will replace every bushe with them as they need to be replaced.

so i went with the power flex because they were only $30 more but it seems for trailing arms anyway that the factory bushes are quite prone to breaking free from the center insert, as this was also the case with mine i had a really bad jiggle in the back this was because of the bushes being able to drift side to side. long story short, its fixed really easy to fit as well not so easy to remove. Cheers for the info fellas