Sign in to follow this  
youngwoo

headlights tints or paint

hey i just wanted to ask if tinting or painting headlights is illegal

i tried tinting my headlights before but there are bumps on the 318ti headlights which means i couldnt <_< i dont really want to paint because its irreversible and i wont a light darkness to it so if any one has answers to

1:is tinting headlights illegal

2:if i use paint, which paint will allow me to get a light coat

because i want my car to be a ninja :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

thank you

Yes it's illegal.

It's pretty stupid too - you need headlights to see & tinting them cuts the amount of light they provide.

Illegal.

Tinting

It is illegal to apply any kind of tint film, tint paint or opaque sticker to any lamp which has a function other than decoration (eg non-cosmetic).

Edited by Tristan

I see falcodores at dealerships / car yards with blacked out head lights all the time. What's the deal with that.

Late reply but a friend had tinted plastic covers that clipped over the whole headlight. Legally you're supposed to remove them after dark. I think they fall under 'Body Protection' ie classic cars? Don't quote me though.

Factory smoked/tinted lights are fine, you just can't add a tint film or paint to functional lights (headlights, indicators, brakes, etc).

No this is perfectly fine. I have mine like this and my previous e30 that Sasha has.

All you are doing is painting black the reflective surround which sits Infront of the headlight bulb. It does not limit the amount of light coming out of the headlight as the light is coming from behind it anyway.

HOWEVER, that only applies to the low-beams. The high beams reflect the light off the rear reflector so you can use the method of black cross hairs so they appear black and reflect the black and appear smoked, But won't actually affect the light output like painting it black would.

It's exactly how Hella made e30 smoked headlights.

So is that what you have done to your headlights @e30ftw? was it a hard process?

I did my low beams yes. Really easy. Just remove them and heat the glass slowly and pry it off. Remove the inner reflective surround and sand / paint. Then put it back together with some silicone adhesive to seal them.

Edit*

Should note this only works for e30 low beams.

Edited by e30ftw