Sign in to follow this  
APT

E46 M3 bubbling rear view mirror

Ok so my auto dimming rear view mirror has a bubble at the top, can anyone point me in the right direction where i can get a new one?

Can you repair these??

Ok so my auto dimming rear view mirror has a bubble at the top, can anyone point me in the right direction where i can get a new one?

Can you repair these??

Can be repaired , get it out of the car now as the liquid is acid , it will leak out soon as it's starting to break down. Will eat any plastics !

I sent mine to http://sybesmas.com/site/services/ . For around $175 usd they will replace the mirror glass with a version that doesn't break down. They have a track and trace service.

Being an rare oval mirror you will need to send it over , they will repair and send it back. I think the whole process took 10 days. Consider taking the glass out before sending. Mine leaked on the way over and the acid took part of the rubberised finish off the mirror.

Other option it to contact http://www.radar-mirror.com/ and go the full hog and get one of there stealth installs for 'safety devices" They should also be able to replace / repair the active mirror glass

I just did this myself on a spare rear view mirror, it's not hard to do.

I bought a replacement mirror from Radar Mirror (it was $134 shipped) and arrived in a week. Disassemble the mirror, desolder the two wires and resolder the new mirror in place - piece of cake. Much better way than sending your mirror away in my opinion as that's pretty much what they do any way.

Below is THE BEST write up I've ever seen for the rear view mirror and explains why they fail.

If you need more help let me know, but seriously I don't think there's a need to ship them away to have it repaired.

And yes, take it off now or cover it up, you never know when it's going to start leaking and trust me you don't want to be spending over $300 buying a new gear surround trim.

http://www.totalmcars.com/thread/2072/auto...;scrollTo=32714

p.s. The mirror in my car now is a replacement from Sybesmas - I did it as a preventative as it wasn't actually leaking, but they all will eventually (read the reasoning in the link above) - It is my understanding now that they are quite short on replacement mirrors - as they used to actually send you one that's already repaired, take a bond and wait for you to send in your own mirror housing as an exchange - but apparently people weren't sending in their own and were putting them up on ebay. So I believe they now get you to send in your own mirror.

Edited by M3_Power

Okay - so I drained the spare mirror I had today that had the bubble - easily done and came up like new. In my opinion, if you don't need the auto-dim function this is a good cheap free mod.

Just be careful when you peel the glass apart as it can break. Remove the stainless band around both side first - it's like a zipper and just pulls off with a bit of force and goes back on again later on.

Use a sharp craft blade and slice into the joint (don't use a single point as you'll break the glass) - wear gloves and be in a well vented area or have a mask on as the fumes are pretty strong and the liquid quite toxic I think.

Wipe the liquid away and wash the two piece and clean with glass cleaner.

Reassembly requires a bit of epoxy put on the two sharp ends of the glass to hold the two together and reinstalling the stainless band on either side of the glass - this is necessary as it aligns the two piece relative to each other in terms of how they fit back together.

Pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hi Tom, ive just finished doing this to my current one. Thanks for the help!

Awesome Tom. Just did two of them. $$$ saved.