Sign in to follow this  
BmwFan111

Buyer Advice

Hi, sorry not sure if this is the right forum but I need some advice on a vehicle I am looking at upgrading from my 2001 BMW.

Found myself a generally tidy 2003 330i motorsport sedan in white, Had an agreed price of $17,000 before I had a pre-purchase inspection done at jeff grays.

Ill list most of what it has apart from the general things.

126000kms

Tan leather interior

ABS Brakes

Blistien shocks

Genuine 18" BBS Ch forged alloy rims

Slotted/drilled brake upgrade

Chromed brake calipers - ground and painted

Custom made strut brace

AC Schnitzer cat back exhaust system - custom quad tail pipes

AC schnitzer pedals and gear shifts (replicas)

Zeon Headlights

Multi Function steering wheel

New speakers

Rear Sub woofer

Reversing mirror

Warrant and rego expire in Dec 2013

Now after having it checked out by jeff gray it has come back with a few problems, I reduced my offer to 15k but they guy reckons he could get more for it, should I stick with 15k or is it still a good buy for 17k even with the problems listed below.

Power steering pipe from reservoir to pump leaking

Oil filter housing gasket leaking

Main drive belt cracking

Rear differential mount cracking

Rear Left tyre worn

Thermostat plug leaking

Vanos hose washers leaking

Reaction bushes excessive movement

There is still a couple minor things like broken clips and wipers etc but not biggys, to get it warrantable dealer has quoted $1100 to fix bushes, alternator drive belt and power steering. Not to mention I will still need a new tyre and the Rear differential mount fixed.

It overall is a very tidy car, so whats it worth... is it worth 17k as it is? Im thinking not with the k's or am I missing a bargain? Are the dealers finding excessive problems, the owner reackons they seem to find problems where there aren't any but id rather trust them than him to be honest.

Any expert advice please, ive left it for now but wouldn't want to miss out as its rare to find one like it.

Edit: Should also add the guy has had it around 2 years but only done around 7000kms in it.

Edited by BmwFan111

I reckon that price is ridiculously expensive, nearly E90 money at 17k. I've seen good e90 330i (non Motorsport) for less than 20k

. With those issues I wouldn't budge from your 15k offer, in fact I wouldn't even pay that.

Regarding the issues, it's just common wear and tear, I wouldn't let that put me off a car but it would need to be fixed at the previous owners expense.

This facelift one has done 15k more and is 2002 but it's 10500 before negotiation.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-618735405.htm

Edited by Driftracewake

It sounds like Jeff Gray are being very detailed but not very useful if they have not actually shown what they actually mean. The problems listed are not unexpected for a 10 year old BMW & themselves are fairly common - did they give you any other comments on the condition? The cracked diff mount is the same for almost every E46 I've driven & rubber components age on all cars so I don't think there is anything to be overly concerned with.

However, the price is another thing altogether... For $17k you are close to E90 money. I would have thought it was more like $13 - $14k tops - I sold my 330ci with similar kms for $12k 8 months back & pretty sure they haven't increased in value since then.

Edit: looks like Dan beat me to it....

Edited by elmarco

No way I would be paying 17k... especially with that list of problems. Even 15k is very marginal.

Much better value here IMO: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-629126381.htm

Sure it's not a 330i but the 328 is only down 20nm so there's not a lot of useable difference between the two. Spend the 8k you save on maintenance/tidying it up.

This is my old car - Theo is looking to get his money back which is not realistic in todays market I'm afraid - he is a hard doer though. I did all of this work myself (put my heart and sole into the strut brace and quad pipes etc) and it was a nice straight car when sold. I would therfore recommend it but not at $17K

Old post (one of 4 or 5 or so) here

Edited by central3

ill sell you my e46 for your offer on that car..

2002 facelift black 330i msport 140kms :)

I'd leave it on the grounds of the calipers being messed with. If they'd been replaced with something after market and bigger then fine, but ground / painted / chromed I'd want to know who did it and if they knew what they where doing.