Sign in to follow this  
slybma

E30 M50B28 Turbo Build

Are the m20 rods the same as the m50b20 rods? If so I have a set of forged ones availibe for cheap. Pm me.

This escalated from last time I had a look haha, looks good man. How much power you going for? Crazy Sweden build numbers?

i have the opposite issue, my rear sits lower than the front. Front has raised almost a whole inch with an M52B28. So much lighter than an m20. When I did an M50 in my last coupe, I used Eibach springs, shortest they made (Part of GC Coilovers), I think they were 5.5" tall. Sat reaaally low, to the lip on 16" wheels. But they were 650lb springs so were quite stiff.

I still want to be able to relax and drive it so im not going to be pushing for huge numbers if I can get to 300kw i'll be happy, it will see a fair bit of track time but id like to be able to drive to and from the track too.

Ya have heard alot of people saying the GC kit gets the car down nice and low I really want to put some 10" wheels on the back one day and get it low, tried some on that were about an et20 and looked good but will need more guard work.

Are the m20 rods the same as the m50b20 rods? If so I have a set of forged ones availibe for cheap. Pm me.

The M20b20 rods are a different length, the m50b20's are a bit longer

Wow your e30 is amazing. Nice work, inspires me to do some of this to my own. Looking great so far.

1 Buy bags of cement from Bunnings

2 Put in boot

3 Enjoy new ride height and traction

I'm more of a Mitre 10 kind of guy, get a weird vibe from the people in Bunnings...

If you mix it up with water in the spare wheelwell it wont move around with hard driving

I'm more of a Mitre 10 kind of guy, get a weird vibe from the people in Bunnings...

they seem like inbreds at the one closest to here too.

So I decided it was a good idea to wind up the front a little bit more, due to the front lip getting caught and falling off for the third time, the fiberglass lip is holding up really well still in one piece.

So after a while with the engine running, i noticed that it was getting very hot in the engine bay and the air filter was getting all that hot air so decided to make up an air box

10z718l.jpg

k20ga8.jpg

Also fitted the side skirts after painting them and the front lip still not sure if theyll stay. The rest of the car will be painted the same colour over winter

29wwu95.jpg

2nr22p3.jpg

Hey man, ive seen awesome results handling and height wise with xyz coilovers, a good mate was running 17x8s all round and had the rears tucked in the guards nd it handled awesome with 400 odd hp up back roads and that wasnt even their shortest spring, he's running 16x8s nw in a coupe with the shortest spring xyz do, its got the rears tucked too, il try find a pic

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Look up 'E30m50 turbo auto x' on youtube for a look at his current setup

Hey man, ive seen awesome results handling and height wise with xyz coilovers, a good mate was running 17x8s all round and had the rears tucked in the guards nd it handled awesome with 400 odd hp up back roads and that wasnt even their shortest spring, he's running 16x8s nw in a coupe with the shortest spring xyz do, its got the rears tucked too, il try find a pic

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Ya have seen a lot of cars sitting lower than mine, as it sits at the moment is exactly where I want it I'm happier with the height with the new rear setup. The car is mainly going to be used for track days and a few hill climbs. Handles great on the track as it sits currently so will keep the setup I have for a while

The reason it looks high is because it’s on 18’s, have you driven it in anger with smaller wheels on it before? I reckon you’d gain a heck of a lot by running some sweet 15" or 16" wheels, un-sprung weight and all that.

My personal opinion is that anything bigger than a 16 on E30's look a little out of proportion being an old car

The reason it looks high is because it’s on 18’s, have you driven it in anger with smaller wheels on it before? I reckon you’d gain a heck of a lot by running some sweet 15" or 16" wheels, un-sprung weight and all that.

My personal opinion is that anything bigger than a 16 on E30's look a little out of proportion being an old car

Looks fine to me ? HE has the right tires profile on it to support it.

Remember e30s had 18s on them back in the day too. EG most race series e30's ran BBS or Compomotive 18 x 9 wheels.

Also, you're missing two massive points on this car.

1. Its 5 lug. EG pretty much impossible to find a 16 inch wheels in 5x120

2. Hes running bigger brakes (sensibly) for the upgraded power. 16 inch wheel dont house big brakes in 5x120 lug pattern very well, you again are very limited on wheel choice and short of getting hold of some 5x120 wierd offset BBS RSs .. your not going to be able to find wheels for it.

Bonus. 16 inch tires are expensive.

About the only thing I would do is put a set of offset control arm lollipops in to move the castor forward 1 inch to center the front wheel. Apart from that ... B) B)

They are only 17s as I think 18s would be a big much for me. As Josh said the brakes limit my wheel size options and want to keep a BMW original style on it. I don't want to go any lower than it is now, since the track day the rear suspension has settled a little and sits just where I'd like it

About the only thing I would do is put a set of offset control arm lollipops in to move the castor forward 1 inch to center the front wheel. Apart from that ... B) B)

I have the offset castor bushes in it with the Evo arms as well at the moment, that's as far forward as I can get them. Any advice on other options?

oh rite 5 stud!

man thats a sweet spec car the more i read through this thread. Epic work man

So the car went back under construction on Sunday, time to sort the paint work and generate a bit more power.

fawjo0.jpg

2jc9gn7.jpg

Do what I did

So are you running those bushes and the evo e36 lower arms in yours?

No I'm running e30 m3 front uprights so used my stock e30/325 ones. Everyone said to do e36 m3 control arms as well but that is just another internet myth I found in the end. Blame the americans for that one.

Ya i did some measuring, as per the photos earlier in the thread, it made a very small difference installing the evo arms

• Like 1