Sign in to follow this  
Mr2low

e39 540 no idle

So got the 540 running but if i don't have my foot on the gas it wont idle just dies straight away, if i do have my foot on the gas it runs extremely badly shakes the whole car.

any ideas

massive vac leak??

check all the intake hoses etc

faulty pcv valve.

oil in the spark plug holes??

massive vac leak??

check all the intake hoses etc

faulty pcv valve.

oil in the spark plug holes??

drivers side bank had oil in first two (closet to firewall) so pulled all the plugs every other was clean

the good thing is it wants to run no hesitation fires first time everytime

Sounds like what i had when the CCV valve broke.

mine let go after i had the car not running for 2 weeks to fix an unrelated issue.

get someone to give it just enough throttle to keep it running and pull the oil dipstick out, if its blown you will hear a massive sucking.gurgling sound, same with oil cap but then you get splatter

Cheers for that lol something it can check in the dark lol f**king annoying working 6 days and getting home in the dark

yea i had to wait like 2 weeks for the part to arrive from the US

mine smoked massivly when it first started up but would stop after a minute.

i drained alomst a liter of oil out of the intake when i pulled it apart.

So got the 540 running but if i don't have my foot on the gas it wont idle just dies straight away, if i do have my foot on the gas it runs extremely badly shakes the whole car.

any ideas

Unplug the MAF sensor, start the car with a little throttle and see if it idles after releasing the throttle. If it idles, it's a MAF sensor fault. It's likely to throw an engine check light which you may have to get cleared on a scanner. Or get it scanned to determine the fault.

Pulled maf sensor today idled at 500rpm so pulled out the dip stick revs instantly rised to 1000 and a lovely gurgling sound pushing dip stick back in revs drop back down to 500, did notice that the pcv is meant to have 2 vacuum tubes mines got a blacking cap on the passenger side also has a blanking cap on a hose y section that im guessing is where it should join

guess im just overly lucky at the mo, maf and pcv

Edited by Mr2low

from memory mine had one less vacuum hose than expected from diagrams.

it says you can do it without taking the front end of the manifold off but i would say take it off anyway so you can get the oil out, i had to because i let the plastic tube inside fall down.

Only other thing i had was the larger vacuum hose that rns to the brake booster was really really hard and set in place so i had to cut it off which was still very hard to do back there.

If you want i can give you a quick run down of how i did mine and what i needed tool wise, let me know.

whoaaa some huge price differences around

pcv cover $64

gasket $6

both valve cover gaskets $ 72

6 gaskets for bolts $6

16 gaskets for nuts $16

4 intake manifold gaskets $90

freight $64

schmiedmann total $318nzd

PCV cover - $195

PCV gasket - $17

valve cover gaskets $156

Inlet manifold gasket - $175

parts plus total $543

ex nut and bolt gaskets for valve cover

pcv cover $152

gasket $20

both valve cover gaskets $ 173

6 gaskets for bolts $21

16 gaskets for nuts $72

4 intake manifold gaskets $244

freight $64

jeff gray total $684

after the 10% off they gave me

pcv cover $184

gasket $15

euro italian parts

didn't ask for the other stuff this is when i was deciding what to work on first

from memory mine had one less vacuum hose than expected from diagrams.

it says you can do it without taking the front end of the manifold off but i would say take it off anyway so you can get the oil out, i had to because i let the plastic tube inside fall down.

Only other thing i had was the larger vacuum hose that rns to the brake booster was really really hard and set in place so i had to cut it off which was still very hard to do back there.

If you want i can give you a quick run down of how i did mine and what i needed tool wise, let me know.

cheers watched a awesome youtube vid even gave you idea on a good tool to get to the torx bits on the back

Im thinking i may go through and replace torx bits with allen key heads too

cheers watched a awesome youtube vid even gave you idea on a good tool to get to the torx bits on the back

Im thinking i may go through and replace torx bits with allen key heads too

Have just done this job without remiving intake. Make sure you get the green o ring for the hard line on the pass side, I needed the oring for the other end of the pipe cos I dislodged it. Was tricky with intake insitu. If youchange to hex head get thick heads or bolts with a female hex socket.

im pretty sure all the guides i saw said the bolts were m5x20 (not sure exactly) but mine were one size bigger m6 x20

i reused the old bolts and had no issues.