Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

Starship Mileage Diesel 159

Prior to getting my Touring, I was flirting with the starship mileage E60. At the same time, I was looking at a tidy 159 diesel but felt that my alfa owning years have yet to come.

This then caught my eye.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/alfa-romeo/159/auction-641973278.htm

Holy moly those KMS is the most i have seen of any NZ New Alfa.

That's not starship milage (maybe for an alfa...) ;)

Our old Impreza had about 325K onit when we sold it, and was a great car (just too small).

There was a renault scenic on trademe a while back with 725,000 :o .

• Like 1

^ :o 725k! would have been worth pittance! :P yeah, any Alfa more than 200k kms is really unheard of in NZ. (beyond the alfisti diehards )

^ :o 725k! would have been worth pittance! :P yeah, any Alfa more than 200k kms is really unheard of in NZ. (beyond the alfisti diehards )

You don't buy interesting/fun cars for reliablity though... that's what a Nissan Latio is for :P

I don't think I'd buy an Alfa... but they do sound awesome, especially the old carbed ones B)

I think they wanted $1800 for the scenic... I stikll wouldn't have bought it if it has 30K on it though :)

That's not starship milage (maybe for an alfa...) ;)

Our old Impreza had about 325K onit when we sold it, and was a great car (just too small).

There was a renault scenic on trademe a while back with 725,000 :o .

Over 700km from a Renault, that's impressive, and this is cumming from a Renault fan! Would love to see the service history on that one.

I concur you don't buy interesting cars for reliability, I would not bother with a vanilla Alfa Romeo, they are a bit average to drive, to me it is like most European cars where I would only buy the "special" models, would be hard to justify expense of maintenance and inconvenience of waiting for parts on something like that.

725ks on a Renault..........!!!??? Musta spent a looooooooooooooot of time being towed by a Toyota............!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Poor Renault shoulda been put in a glass case, or shipped back to where it came from with THAT mileage, specially if it still moved under its own power...... :)

Maybe it was a typo?

I actually had a look on Trademe and there are not many cars that make i past 400,000km, looks mostly like Commodores and Falcons, probably Taxi's.

I'm calling bullshit. Obviously they've wound the odometer forward.

Musta spent a looooooooooooooot of time being towed by a Toyota............!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently you haven't heard yet.....

Maybe it was a typo?

I actually had a look on Trademe and there are not many cars that make i past 400,000km, looks mostly like Commodores and Falcons, probably Taxi's.

Nah, they specifically mentioned the milage - I tried to look in the expired listings, but must be too long ago.

I think the really high milage stuff doesn't go near trademe anyway. Who wants to pay trademe fees on a car with 500K on it? It's probably only falcons and commodores that are worth a little bit with that milage. They mostly aren't worth anything, and if it's still going, keep driving it - it's still usually cheaper than buying another car (long term).

There isn't any reason why a car can't easily do 400K - they should do a lot more, but kiwis are too tight to look after them properly. I've had 3 subarus with 280K+ with no issues (325k, 280k and 295k from memory). My brother in laws uncle had a Mitsi L300 petrol van that died at 490K, because a staff member kept driving after a radiator hose burst, and a mate of mine had an ex-rural delivery Mitsi L200 diesel with just over 700,000 on it. He treated it like sh*t, and it still kept going... I think he just left it somewhere on a farm when he moved on :lol: . I was just speaking to my neighbour, and he's deciding whether to keep or sell his 1994 corolla - it's got 380kms on, uses a bit of oil, but no real issues - has had one clutch (a new hilux with that kind of milage would probably had at least 4 by that milage, not to mention all the injectors!)

Edited by Allanw

:) ok, I'll play - what bit haven't I heard............haha.

Toyota make some crap too. They don't always score well in reliability studies. They're just like anything else. Some are reliable, some really aren't - they not even consistent.

Maybe it was a typo?

toyota can run over 500k easy.

Nah, they specifically mentioned the milage - I tried to look in the expired listings, but must be too long ago.

I think the really high milage stuff doesn't go near trademe anyway. Who wants to pay trademe fees on a car with 500K on it? It's probably only falcons and commodores that are worth a little bit with that milage. They mostly aren't worth anything, and if it's still going, keep driving it - it's still usually cheaper than buying another car (long term).

There isn't any reason why a car can't easily do 400K - they should do a lot more, but kiwis are too tight to look after them properly. I've had 3 subarus with 280K+ with no issues (325k, 280k and 295k from memory). My brother in laws uncle had a Mitsi L300 petrol van that died at 490K, because a staff member kept driving after a radiator hose burst, and a mate of mine had an ex-rural delivery Mitsi L200 diesel with just over 700,000 on it. He treated it like sh*t, and it still kept going... I think he just left it somewhere on a farm when he moved on :lol: . I was just speaking to my neighbour, and he's deciding whether to keep or sell his 1994 corolla - it's got 380kms on, uses a bit of oil, but no real issues - has had one clutch (a new hilux with that kind of milage would probably had at least 4 by that milage, not to mention all the injectors!)

That is true, with preventative maintenance cars car go for a long time, its normally the body that lets go, especially in Toyota's that seem to just rust out!

What would concern me with a Scenic would be the Automatic trans and the electrical system, but both of those can be problomatic at 100,000km.

I am having a chuckle at BMW drivers laughing at reliability of Renaults, its like the ginger kid laughing at the fat kid.

Have owned many BMW's (E30,36.46,39,60) and none have been near as reliable or durable as my Renault's, I have never been able to drive a BMW anywhere near as hard as you can the Renault without it falling apart or overheating either, my Rally car is 100% stock and all parts are factory fit at 130,000km and it is driven 10x harder than your mums car when she goes away for the weekend ;)

What would concern me with a Scenic would be the Automatic trans and the electrical system, but both of those can be problomatic at 100,000km.

I am having a chuckle at BMW drivers laughing at reliability of Renaults, its like the ginger kid laughing at the fat kid.

This scenic was a manual diesel. I know the autos are crap.

nice analogy!

The thing with BMW's, is there can be a lot of stuff that can go wrong on the fancier ones. Dads E30 has been cheaper to "repair" over the 14 or 15 years he's had it (now at 240K), than his previous Toyota cost for the 4 years he had it. The BMW has only had 3 actually repairs - a starter, an alternator rectifier and a wheel bearing (from memory). The rest was stuff that I'd class consumable - radiator, clutch, shocks, brakes etc. I think it's only cost about $9K, over those years, including tyres!

Even our E39 has been very good - I know they eat suspension, but it handles so well. I expect to have a few issues here and there, but couldn't stand to drive a corolla (had one for a work car! ugh).