Sign in to follow this  
Docile

oil in radiator

another headache :(

my uncle's e46 318i has a lot of oil in the radiator. the car just had a full trans fluid change about 5 months ago and the oil smells of trans fluid.

engine oil dont have water in it.

could it be a broken radiator or oil cooler?

another headache :(

my uncle's e46 318i has a lot of oil in the radiator. the car just had a full trans fluid change about 5 months ago and the oil smells of trans fluid.

engine oil dont have water in it.

could it be a broken radiator or oil cooler?

The oil cooler is seperate to the radiator and fits onto the adaptor plate on the radiator. If its got trans fluid in the cooling system and water in trans, the transmission will be buggered too now.

gahhh..

ok thanks Glenn. the oil cooler is the silver rectangle aluminium thing clipped into the bottom of the radioator under expansion tank right?

gahhh..

ok thanks Glenn. the oil cooler is the silver rectangle aluminium thing clipped into the bottom of the radioator under expansion tank right?

Yes

dont know yet. haved booked it in to get inspected on Monday. if its all good im buying a new oil cooler.

trans runs higher pressure than radiator so oil goes in.

when car stops however the radiator has more pressure so forces water back into trans.

My old e34 had this happen, trans got a fluid change but still gave up fairly quickly and whole box was replaced.

that oil was almost impossible to get out of the cooling system, heaps of flushes and still came back.

killed the heater valve and then started blowing hoses due to rubber break down.

simple problem with massive consequences.

the car shifts into gear all good when i tested it.

I currently have the radiator drained and the oil cooler unhooked from the radiator. will put it back on monday on the way to the trans workshop.

cross fingers all is still well :)

i bought my car after this had happened, they had put a hose bypassing the cooler which worked ok.

i had it for a couple of months before the trans died but that was almost a year after it has leaked, of which much was spent parked up.

my biggest concern would be getting the oil out of the cooling system.

radiator shop should be able to do it without much hassel.

Im sending it to the gearbox factory in Henderson. that place and the workshops around it are like car heaven :) old school cars like the AC cobra, mustangs, chargers and sometimes race cars (targa) are there getting work done or just parked up. i always walk around and have a look see at the cars :)

update:

car is at the workshop now getting an inspection.

If trans fluid is ok he said he will just top it up if needed but trans cooler will need replacing and cooling system flushed.

he suggested to bypass the oem radiator oil cooling and opt for an external one which he said is around $250 - $350 depending on how big the cooler will be. a new oem cooler is at $220.

is it worth it to go the external route? my uncle will be keeping the car for a long time.

im guessing the external one would be like the one on the e36

Edited by Docile

I'd go external - will save your Uncle having the same issues again, & generally makes for better heat dissipation in my opinion, depending on how & where it is mounted.

Also much better for towing .. down side if your in a cold climate in winter.. the trans oil may take longer to heat up.

Manual and auto radiators are different. How are they going to eliminate the original cooler and water supply to it ? If the cooler is faulty, just replace it.

First and foremost, you must make sure that it is the cooler which is causing oil in the water. Diagnosing the fault correctly will reduce the final cost.

Manual and auto radiators are different. How are they going to eliminate the original cooler and water supply to it ? If the cooler is faulty, just replace it.

First and foremost, you must make sure that it is the cooler which is causing oil in the water. Diagnosing the fault correctly will reduce the final cost.

True, in that you're meaning in current state, radiator needs repaired too ae??

Edit - Dyslexic speeeelling misteak.

Edited by Blue-540i