Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Re-powering an e30

m52! Sexy aluminium block. B)

Would go like a bastard. :bounce:

Guest Andrew

I got a 2.5, transport will be a bitch though.

actually not that bad - cost me 100 bucks to get glenns complete m20 up here through JD Lyons (not sure if that was a hookup price or anything though?)

Sorry, Andrew you say M30 doesn't produce enough power?? Just thought i'd say, the M30 3.5l was actually released in the E30's as a factory produced car in South Africa called the 333i. You had to choose air con or p/s cos there isn't enough room for both!! The problem with these were they made so much usable power and torque they used to rip the diff mounts and rear shocks out of the car!! Also the M20 2.7l is a good option, there are two variations, 1) out of a M325is, which is just a M20 with different rods and pistons, 2) out of 525e/ee only problem with this variation is that it is very low revving but verry torquey as apposed to the IS variation. Hope this helps guys, cheers

Guest Spargo

Sorry, Andrew you say M30 doesn't produce enough power?? Just thought i'd say, the M30 3.5l was actually released in the E30's as a factory produced car in South Africa called the 333i. You had to choose air con or p/s cos there isn't enough room for both!! The problem with these were they made so much usable power and torque they used to rip the diff mounts and rear shocks out of the car!!

Sure, thats why you see S50B32 (with both more power and torque) swaps tearing their diff mounts and rear shocks (fyi, no you don't). Bumpstops 335i hasn't ripped anything yet either.

Also the M20 2.7l is a good option, there are two variations, 1) out of a M325is, which is just a M20 with different rods and pistons, 2) out of 525e/ee only problem with this variation is that it is very low revving but verry torquey as apposed to the IS variation. Hope this helps guys, cheers

No such thing as an M325iS.

Its not just different rods and pistons, its an Alpina C2 2.7 crank (read forged, from the 524td motor) It has either an alpina long block with a modded 325i head (Evo 1) or the full C2 2.7 head (Evo 2 and 3).

The M20B27 motor (from 325e / 525e) doesn't make more torque than the iS motors either.

Guest Spargo

Curious as to what it says on the back of your car :huh: hmmmm.... ?

Posted Image

PHoned.

Sharpen up Andrew.

Guest Andrew

Sorry, Andrew you say M30 doesn't produce enough power?? Just thought i'd say, the M30 3.5l was actually released in the E30's as a factory produced car in South Africa called the 333i. You had to choose air con or p/s cos there isn't enough room for both!! The problem with these were they made so much usable power and torque they used to rip the diff mounts and rear shocks out of the car!! Also the M20 2.7l is a good option, there are two variations, 1) out of a M325is, which is just a M20 with different rods and pistons, 2) out of 525e/ee only problem with this variation is that it is very low revving but verry torquey as apposed to the IS variation. Hope this helps guys, cheers

well at the most - those 3.3 ltr S.A e30s made 200 - 206 (from unixnerd) hp at the motor.

Thats nearly 20 hp less than my 2.5 ltr M20 is making at the flywheel

Secondly - there are not two different 2.7 motors. You are getting confused by the eta motor and i motor.

They use the 2.7 crank to get the displacement increase - not just a rods and piston change. If you use the eta motor bottom end with i head you get a decent revving 2.7.

3.5l (not 3.3l) made 211bhp at flywheel and alot of torque. A collegue of mine worked for BMW in SA for 8 years and owned a 333i, and yes, it was a very common problem for them ripping diff and shock mounts out. I appologise, yes crank is part of the 2.7l. No M325is?? 325is is a SA produced vehicle with the 2.7l motor, LSD, and the only E30 with 5stud hubs and E28 brakes. They also have the M-tech 2 kit, making them motorsport, hense me using M325is.

Guest Andrew

3.5l (not 3.3l) made 211bhp at flywheel and alot of torque. A collegue of mine worked for BMW in SA for 8 years and owned a 333i, and yes, it was a very common problem for them ripping diff and shock mounts out.  I appologise, yes crank is part of the 2.7l. No M325is?? 325is is a SA produced vehicle with the 2.7l motor, LSD, and the only E30 with 5stud hubs and E28 brakes. They also have the M-tech 2 kit, making them motorsport, hense me using M325is.

sam has a M325is from SA with the parts you described - its a 325is - the M325 was a New Zealand crappy marketing thing.

As for shock mounts - e30s have horrible rear shock mount mounting points - hence the reason they break on all e30s - they don't just "rip out" with power though - they are hardly a stress item in the drivetrain.

Why on earth would the diff mounts break? - Out of the subframe? Doubt it.

211hp is sh*t - whats the point of putting that motor in an e30 when you can make that much power with the lighter M20 for the same cost. Or drop a jappa motor in for slightly more cost with 300 hp.

mate, your listenting to me, but your not hearing me. Yes, congratulations, they are 325is'!!! thats what i just said. They have the M-Tech 2 kit, so i put a M before it, as i just said, oh s**t!! shoot me!! also, at the top of the rear tower, where the shock top mounts bolt to the tower, used to tear after time and eventually rip out. Why would you go for a 3.5 when you could go for a jappa?? because they're bad ass and torquey!! why would you wanna destroy a beemer with a jap engine?? i thought you were a bmw fan? BMW's whole tradition is based on "the ultimate driving machine" hense why BMW don't use forced induction petrol engines. Keep it original!!

my edit was too slow, was so gutted. :( totally owned :( shud have checked before hand instead of gone with instinct :(.

Edited by E30stz

Also, M325i wasn't a crappy marketing thing. M325i had the motorsport kit and LSD, 325i doesn't. But unlike the 325is, it had 4 stud hubs, smaller brakes and 2.5l M20, exactly the same as the standard 325i

Guest Andrew

mate, your listenting to me, but your not hearing me. Yes, congratulations, they are 325is'!!! thats what i just said. They have the M-Tech 2 kit, so i put a M before it, as i just said, oh s**t!! shoot me!! also, at the top of the rear tower, where the shock top mounts bolt to the tower, used to tear after time and eventually rip out. Why would you go for a 3.5 when you could go for a jappa?? because they're bad ass and torquey!! why would you wanna destroy a beemer with a jap engine?? i thought you were a bmw fan? BMW's whole tradition is based on "the ultimate driving machine" hense why BMW don't use forced induction petrol engines. Keep it original!!

does that mean I can put an M badge before mine?

All e30s have weak rear shocks towers - power isn't a factor is what i am trying to get at.

Yes I am a BMW fan - I have a decently high HP m20 N/A e30 race car.

But power is power - it doesn't matter what delievers it.

Glenn's ultimate driving machine is just so much more badass than most others.

Guest Andrew

Also, M325i wasn't a crappy marketing thing. M325i had the motorsport kit and LSD, 325i doesn't. But unlike the 325is, it had 4 stud hubs, smaller brakes and 2.5l M20, exactly the same as the standard 325i

exactly - its a 325 with some option boxes ticked.

The car was called the 325is in the UK and the M325 here.

- the south african one is different again (as you know)

sorry mate, but no, they wern't 325is in the UK, they were M325i. A few 325is were also brought into the UK if requested or privately imported, but only came out of SA. 325is were an end of line throw together BMW designed to use excessively produced parts. Power's not a factor?? E30's have a very weak rear end, continual, excessive loading on the diff mounts from higher power engines eventually causes the diff mounts to let go, which then loads up the shock mounts. Yes, power is power, i agree. I have done a couple of conversions myself, but when it's BMW, it's BMW. But hey, thats just my opinion.

Its not just different rods and pistons, its an Alpina C2 2.7 crank (read forged, from the 524td motor) It has either an alpina long block with a modded 325i head (Evo 1) or the full C2 2.7 head (Evo 2 and 3).

Just had a quick after thought, yes crank is different, block and head are exactly the same. Capacity is increased from 2.5 to 2.7 with slightly longer stroke from the crank.

Guest Andrew

Just had a quick after thought, yes crank is different, block and head are exactly the same. Capacity is increased from 2.5 to 2.7 with slightly longer stroke from the crank.

pistons are different

Guest Spargo

Uk car were known as "325i Sport" . The VIN plate even says so.

New Zealand versions of exactly the same car was known as M325i.

Uk car were known as "325i Sport" . The VIN plate even says so.

New Zealand versions of exactly the same car was known as M325i.

Speak.

Yes they were!! if you don't believe me ring a BMW dealership and ask!!

Not in the UK oooooorrrrr United Kingdom.

What does some minimum wage BMW slave know anyway?

Anyway its not different. m325i or 325i sport are just 325i with a kit, LSD, no chrome, sport seats, lower suspension, 15" wheels and some other minor stuff.

Sorry dude you are wrong on this one.