Sign in to follow this  
BigPoppa

E46 330i PPI and Palmy area

Hey guys,

I'm really considering buying CUBE's E46. It seems a good price n I can probably afford it without having to sell my current car first. Unfortunately, I know SFA about what to look for when checking these cars out. Specifically, what problem areas should I be looking at on ANY E46 330i before I purchase? I'm going by the assumption that CUBE has an immaculate machine, but in case his doesn't work out, or just so curb my own paranoia, I'd really like to know what I should be looking for.

Secondly, does anyone know of an E46 330i going for sale around Palmy area? I've never driven one and it seems like a good idea to give it a shot before I fly myself up to Auckland, so if there's one for sale around here I could test drive, that'd be pretty sweet.

Cheers folks!

When you drive a good one.. you wont be disappointed. Just arrange the seller to do the PPI for you at your cost.

If you're in Palmy area, why not go to the Tui day tomorrow - some-one might have one there maybe that you could maybe have a supervised drive in.........

Jeff Gray got any in Palmy on the lot??

Edited by Blue-540i

Told the missus I'd spend this weekend with her - figure it wouldn't go down too well if I told her I was buggering off to maybe test drive a car hahah.

I'll have to check out Jeff Gray. Funnily enough, I work right next door to them and never thought to actually check.

Wee hint for ya then - walk next door.................. :rolleyes:;):D

Ya could always bring Mum with ya - still counts as spending time with her then...........

Edit - 'Mum' - aka your missus - woman - girlfriend - other half - better half - chick - significant other - brains of the operation - wahine - lay of the day - wife - partner - best friend.

(Please pick an option that best applies to you...........)

If 'Mum' is charging you per 15min time interval - none of the above applies........... ;)

Edited by Blue-540i
  • Like 1

Lols - I'll 'fix' that post for ya.............

Edit - that's being harsh on Levin, but given some of the 'gems' ya came out with yesterday, was starting to wonder if you're maybe from Apiti or Shannon........ :rolleyes::lol:;)

Edited by Blue-540i

I've owned a 2002 E46 330i. Things to check:

- Signs of rust around rear wheel arches.

- Gearbox (Manual) Check the spring detent works properly, and there is no stiffness or heaviness. If so, there is a cheap kit available to fix this (as I found out).

- Check for signs of water/mould in rear lights on boot-lid.

- Clunking or knocking due to suspension bushes.

- Check front fog/spot light surrounds are in place.

- Ask if radiator plastic fill tank has been replaced yet. They can crack suddenly usually after 130,000km (lots of steam gets out)

Otherwise they are bullet proof, but thirsty. Good luck they are great cars.

• Like 1

Funny you should mention the fog light surrounds. One was missing but got a new one from the stealers for like $20-30 I think.

And I don't think it's thirsty. Think it's quite reasonable in terms of fuel consumption. Sure it's no Toyota corolla 1.6 manual but it's also nothing like a 4L v8!

Funny you should mention the fog light surrounds. One was missing but got a new one from the stealers for like $20-30 I think.

And I don't think it's thirsty. Think it's quite reasonable in terms of fuel consumption. Sure it's no Toyota corolla 1.6 manual but it's also nothing like a 4L v8!

I agree, they are not terrible - about 28 around town and 33 on a trip - that was the best I got out of mine.

I think he's got a Subaru at the mo - if its a turbo one then virtually anything with wheels or wings is more economic on fuel........... :lol:

• Like 1