Sign in to follow this  
Kepes

E30 with M50B25 for first car?

Hello everyone,
I'm 16 and for about 7 months I have been looking around on trade me for an E30. I know it's the car i want, i love working on/maintaining engines and i know that with an E30 there would be a lot of that, after all they are around 20 years old. I have found a manual 325i in Wellington (which is where i live) It has an M50B25 engine in it and power steering from an E36. I have a done a lot of research on E30's with the M20 engine but don't know what to think of something like this. Anyway, heres a link, tell em what you think.
And thank you for any help in advance!

yes, in lots of ways if the conversion has been done correctly (with SOLDERED joins not just crimped etc) it should be more reliable than an M20 variety.

if it has a manual box and a LSD you will have a lot of fun.

post a link to the one you are looking at and we can pick it over for you. your pretty safe posting about Trademe finds here

hmm a bit hard to guess its life. isn't slammed on ugly wheels so potentially not a thrashed to hell car. but the pod filter and not having the heater box hooked up are shortcuts, hopefully no shortcuts elsewhere.

as with any E30 check for rust, not common, but pretty terminal if present. especially around rear taillights and in the storage compartments on each side in the boot. That car is very likely to be a New Zealand new based on the registration plate

good idea to find out the km's of the engine thats in it.

and it will need certification if its not already, this will be extra work like driveshaft hoops etc.

Price a bit on the high side. dont pay too much of a premium because its an M50, you can do the qhole swap including purchasing the engine for 1-1.5k now

I would wait it out, That doesn't have much going for it apart from having an m50.. 3-3.5k max IMO.

Guess I'll just keep on waiting for the perfect one! I saw a lot of E30's when i was in Auckland last weekend maybe my best bet would be to go up there and look for one. Anyway thanks for the help everyone!

I would also recommend getting some figures on insurance before you get your heart set on a car. NZ doesn't need any more uninsured teenagers in modified cars.

As for the actual car itself, any E30 is a good move. It's a mechanical apprenticeship in a car.