Sign in to follow this  
danutt

moding the head gasket...

if i changed the head gasket to a higher compression one and run higher octane fuel to get rid of da pinging id have then would the car be quicker or have more hp or torque wats the advantages and disadvantages????

B)

You should gain a minute, if barely noticeable, power increase from raising the compression. You'd notice more from the octane increase, unless of course you raise the compression ratio considerably.

if i made the head gasket a little over 1mm and increased the octane would that help??ive got a pod filter,turbo flow exhaust and i chekd my sparkies not to long ago and they seem to be running lean also the rpm is quick until bout 5000rpm then it slows down till redline ???any cures or maybe a chip?

I've said this before but don't waste your money on that engine. Save up a grand and put a 2.5 6cyl and do manual conversion as well.

As for you timing, what year is you car? If it 87 or older you can advance the timing just by turning the dizzy. If its 88 or newer sh*t out of luck

This is my 318. The only way it will go faster is if I drop it out of an aeroplane at 20,000 ft. Engine mods to 318's are a waste of time unless you go radical and that will cost you arms and legs. Have done that to a mate's car some time ago so know what was involved. What you are suggesting is really a waste of good money.

I recently bought a very rusty M325i and am going to transplant the whole thing into the 318 and give it a paint at the same time to match the body bits off the M325i which are diamantschwartz. The whole thing will cost me less than $2500 and i will have a car which will have plenty of go and handle and stop etc.

if you are reall desperate for some more get up and go, I have a complete 320 motor with auto :puke: box you can have cheap....