Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Waterskiing and Powerboating on Waikato Lakes and Rivers

Hey waterskiers and powerboat owners,

I've been boating for nearly 30 years both recreationally and commercially on anything from trailer sailers to large keelers and from small ski boats, to large launches, jetboats and high-speed RHIBs. But it's all been on salt water.

My boat at the moment is a mint condition Bullet 1850 I've had for a couple of years now spending most of my time doing my best to make the trip from the nearest boat ramp to a beach or island in the Hauraki Gulf or Bay of Islands as short as possible. But by now I've pretty much had my fun and it's nearly time to upgrade to something significantly bigger that I can overnight/weekend on i.e. a decent cabin boat. However, this summer, before I sell my high-speed toy I want to do some fresh-water boating on lakes and rivers in the Waikato.

I thought I might head down to the 'swamps' on Labour weekend, but I don't know the area, where is good/bad, or where to get info on the rules and etiquette for where we end up. The Council website is slack and apart from info on the bridge to bridge, there's not a lot else I can find online.

Ideally I'd like to explore some of the river and perhaps find a larger lake where we can do some high-speed runs in between relaxing on the riverbank/lake side. Basically I want find out what all the fuss is about off the salt. I don't really ski (although I can), so it's more about just getting onto some fresh water and having some fun in the boat and maybe mingling/mixing with other like-minded individuals.

Who can tell me what's hot/not and what i need to know?

Cheers,

used to do a lot of sking and fast boat driving , from the tuakau bridge boat ramp , mercer boatramp and then mostly the elbow (out from pukekohe ,then puni)

most have ski lanes there , but if you keep going up the river further not many people to bother etc.

the elbow has quite a good boat ramp

and nice parking area etc

I have done a lot of ski racing so I know the kind of boats you refer to. Your boat will be slower in fresh water and will get slower the higher you go up the river - noticeable by the time you get to Taupo. The fresh water also feels much "harder" than sea water, and Taupo is "harder" again compared to further down. The boat will smack harder in chop and off wakes. The density difference is an obvious factor that changes the feel and makes the boat slower in fresh water. I don't know the physics that govern that experience of "hard water" in Taupo but if you spend some time in fresh water you will notice it.

All the hydro lakes are fun and Karapiro is probably a pretty good bet for you, but it gets busy on a good weekend. Go early to go fast, but watch out for rowers. The lake is well protected from the wind and you can see a long way ahead, with limited places to enter and exit (not many bays), so it is a good spot for a fast run. Just watch the wake board boat wakes later in the day. Ohakuri is also good, but gets rougher. You can swim in hot geothermal water entering the lake at the south end of the main body of the lake.

The great joy of fresh water boating is you only have to towel your boat off after using it.

Down grade mate. Get a jetski or two and go exploring anywhere, they are awesome for this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzzglDDDXiU Do it with or with out the orange juice.

I agree with Lake karapiro being good for speed boats, I spent many years rowing up and down and if you go far enough up stream you can get to Arapuni dam. Plenty of spots to pull over on the side and a good waterfall and glow worms at night if you know where to look.

Thanks guys. Should get me going...

Steve - 2 years ago I went shopping for a jetski and came back with a 100kph ski boat... :D

This is my typical summer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2od6PyjEOVM&list=FLM9CtyVVVNc2KJGapRTkdkw&index=3 Just looking for something a little different this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvx5EXGE2vw

Down grade mate. Get a jetski or two and go exploring anywhere, they are awesome for this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzzglDDDXiU Do it with or with out the orange juice.

I agree with Lake karapiro being good for speed boats, I spent many years rowing up and down and if you go far enough up stream you can get to Arapuni dam. Plenty of spots to pull over on the side and a good waterfall and glow worms at night if you know where to look.

That is f**king cool man! I would love to do that some day!