Sign in to follow this  
ntaylor90

M50 swap into 318ti - future turbo project.

dont judge what your doing by other peoples standards

do it to meet yours that makes it epic ;)

2iiv1b6.jpg

Took the box out today. Was kind of funny, was being super super careful with it as I was taking it out, strapped it to my jack and lowered and pulled it out very slowly. Expecting it to be heavy-ish. Then I un-strapped it and just picked it up. Weighs no way near what I expected, guess I should have looked up first? :P

Took the pedals out, etc. what an annoying job, huffing and puffing trying to get past all the wires to get the bolts out. Upside down and all over the place!

Peace

• Like 1

Today I spent a lot of time feeding the wire from the engine bay out to the boot so I can mount the battery in the boot when I put the m50 in (next weekend :D)

It was a mission. Was horrible working around the pedals and feeding the fat wire through the already cluttered cut-out in the firewall. Phew I'm glad that's done!

syb9eo.jpg

2n2grq.jpg

Spent the rest of the day cleaning up the garage so it's all uncluttered for the swap weekend (and also from some constructive criticism I've had about the state of my garage floor... Hehehe).

2ljl2sj.jpg

Looking forward to this coming together nicely! Pretty excited actually :)

Have an awesome weekend everyone!

How did you get the car up on its side? Haha jokes good effort man and nice tidy work space :), you should see how messed up my garage is lol

How did you get the car up on its side? Haha jokes good effort man and nice tidy work space :), you should see how messed up my garage is lol

Haha not this again!! It took me a while!! Was horrid. At least I knew where everything was :P looking forward to next weekend!

Weekend!!!! Got heaps done today. Put my car in the garage, removed EVERYTHING out of the engine bay (bar brake lines and abs) and gave the engine bay a paint (gloss black). Nice and simple and will will look good with the exterior colour I have planned ;)

Removed subframe/power steering rack toile engine install a wee bit simpler (although probably not 100% necessary)

Hoping to have engine in tomorrow, and loom plugged in! First start tomorrow or Sunday.... Exciting!!

Have a good one!

A few pics:

vmr7n9.jpg

xpq51s.jpg

Will take some better ones tomorrow.

Yaaaaay she's in! Painted the engine bay black, put in the m50, and started getting everything in order. Will sort out electrics/fuel/cooling tomorrow and start her up. Excited!!!!!!

Some piccys

It's not perfect but it's an improvement!

231qa8.jpg

Don't look too close.. ;)

33ygyew.jpg

Slipping it in..

qot36x.jpg

She sits!!

2lktk4h.jpg

Cheers all!

Can someone please help me out? :)

1 wire left - happened to be the only one I didn't label and I have no clue as to where it goes :)

The 2 pin plug in the pic is the one I'm referring to. M50 engine

post-19883-0-39849100-1385858539_thumb.j

Looks like the reverse light to me. Is the round plug in your hand the connector for the O2 sensor?

might be for the purge valve for the emmision stuff ,carbon canistor etc, not needed

Thanks gents!

@Ahmedsinc - I believe the reverse/'back-up' lamp connector is part of the body loom and not the engine loom?

@- Brent HARTGE535i - Thanks buddy! I thought it was weird I hadn't labelled it...

Broke my thermostat housing - was standing in the engine bay between the 2 strut towers getting the accel. cable in. Accidentally stood on it... Special!!!!

Went to pick-a-part - ripped one out of a 328i that was there - housing in WAY better condition than mine was - $8. Can't complain with that!!

Might be starting her up soon... Will def take a video :P

It's aliveeeee! So exciting.. Having problems

Trying to upload video on my phone so will do it tomorrow. If you have Instagram check latest video - ntaylor90

What a difference am extra (almost) litre makes. And vanos. It sounds sexy. Have a little bit of tapping from the lifters, nothing major, and goes away after the engine warms up well. Had a sh*t tonne of assembly lube on everything so will just be that breaking down :)

So excited to start driving it! Just need to sort out the rest of the exhaust.. Have 3/4's of it to behind the cat - just need to get someone to cut and weld the muffler on (or just run 2 straight pipes hehe...)

Yay.

top effort dude look forward to seeing some action shots

First drive longer than 'up and down the road' today, and it ran so sweet. Drove to muffler shop to get exhaust welded. Just a cheap OEM muffler and pipe for now; but will be full custom when turbo comes about in the future :)

Drove her around for a good while today. Had exhaust welded yesterday so it's not obnoxiously loud, just a niceeeee purr.

I think I'm in love. Hahaha. So nice with the increase of power, and the sound having moved from a horrible tinny sounding stock m44 to the beautiful hum of the Inline 6. Good to have a manual back too. Yummy!

Rocking the 4.44 diff for now, with a 3.45 sitting at home. Might run it for a wee while. It will probably break soon anyway ;)

Cheers all

Went for a drive over to Masterton today, the rimutaka's and back :) was a good drive, bit windy though! Car drove very nicely :D very happy with it!

Now selling this :) No cert for the swap, although it has Wof/Reg until end of year. Check out the post in 'for sale' - has a list of pros/cons/etc :)

Looking for a cheap sell - around $3500